Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Serious Question for Mamas in North Dakota?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM
  • 32 Replies

My hubby & I have been really trying to find where wed like to move out of california. Obviously somewhere that there are jobs, a relatively low cost of living, and a place that is safe to raise a family (as we have four and one on the way). We see that North Dakota has an immense amount of jobs especially in the oil fields but there is zero to none housing. Also with further research I've found that the ratio is that woman are very far and few between and have been assulted, slandered etc. How is it actually living there? Do any of you experience this problem? How can North Dakota be such a wonderful place to live with all of this going on? Please give me some insight :) Thanks in advance.

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bigmama423
by Liz on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Never been...
Bump
mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I don't currently live there, but I did live there about 13 years ago.. It was COLD!!! The first year we lived there ( Dh was in the AF, so we were stationed in Grand Forks) there were 15 blizzards. The snow does not melt, it just keeps piling up. As a southern girl ( GA) I loathed it. I'm not used to cold weather so it was more than I could handle. 

The people treated me like trash since I was from the south. They constantly told me how stupid I was, which was humorous as I was much more intelligent than the people stating this to me. 

It was not my favorite place to be and I was so thrilled when we left. I didn't even look back when we passed the state line. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Bump for ND moms. :-)
Ilovemybbgrl
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Thanks for the bumps and responses!! :)

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Welcome sorry I am from MI and their are no jobs here!

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on May. 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Bumping for North Dakota moms...
Thing1.Thing2
by New Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I was born here but moved to Nevada in 2003 and just moved back this year with my husband for job reasons. We live in Bismarck not oil country but I hear from my family who lives up there that it's not what it used to be. Almost daily people are killed in car wrecks and other people are charging thousands of dollars for rooms to rent. There are jobs ALL over ND and I don't know if you guys are just looking at the oil fields but housing and good jobs (not quite oil field money but good money) are in the central and eastern part of the state. Not only that but it has yet to be affected by the negative out of state people who are newly rich and nothing better to spend their money on than alcohol so it's better for families.

NdAppy
by New Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Honestly, being from California myself and living in North Dakota since 1998, if you can't handle extreme cold, isolation, long drives, nothing to do in most places, don't move here.  This past week the last of the 8 foot plus tall snow drift just disappeared out of my yard...  This is just to give you an idea of how wildly the weather can be from year to year...  This was just a small portion of our pasture. 

Granted I love it here.  I have my horses, my kids, work from home, live in the country, and wouldn't move back to any where more populated if there was any option to avoid doing so. 

The oil field jobs are rough.  Yes they pay well, but the turn over rate is horendous.  Yes there are other jobs through out the state as well.  I have friends who deal with the oil field industry.  They have litterally had people walk in demanding they be given jobs just becuase they showed up and they were "told" by the news and other sources that ND has jobs for the taking.  Depending on what area you are really wanting to live in, some places are horrible (Devils Lake, Minot, Wiliston, Dickinson) for getting any decent housing. 

Good luck in what you decide!

mcginnisc
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Quoting NdAppy:

Honestly, being from California myself and living in North Dakota since 1998, if you can't handle extreme cold, isolation, long drives, nothing to do in most places, don't move here.  This past week the last of the 8 foot plus tall snow drift just disappeared out of my yard...  This is just to give you an idea of how wildly the weather can be from year to year...  This was just a small portion of our pasture. 

Granted I love it here.  I have my horses, my kids, work from home, live in the country, and wouldn't move back to any where more populated if there was any option to avoid doing so. 

The oil field jobs are rough.  Yes they pay well, but the turn over rate is horendous.  Yes there are other jobs through out the state as well.  I have friends who deal with the oil field industry.  They have litterally had people walk in demanding they be given jobs just becuase they showed up and they were "told" by the news and other sources that ND has jobs for the taking.  Depending on what area you are really wanting to live in, some places are horrible (Devils Lake, Minot, Wiliston, Dickinson) for getting any decent housing. 

Good luck in what you decide!

Oh, how well I remember that snow! We were stationed in Grand Forks from 3/96- 7/99. The first year we were there, we had 13 blizzards and the great flood of the Red River. It was awful. I completely agree with the whole first paragraph about isolation, and little to do and crazy winters. I'm an Atlanta girl, so I was shell shocked when we moved there since I was so used to having things to do every minute of the day. 

I have pictures of the drifts in our yard on base. Our first Christmas in ND, we left our truck in the front yard when we flew home to GA and when we got back, it took us 3 days to plow/dig it out ... lesson learned that year. LOL

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

NdAppy
by New Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Lol!  That can happen overnight!  Been there, done that!  I know a lot of people move up here expecting big paying jobs and then get hit with the winters and move back out of state.  Summers, isolation wise, are not as bad, but in the winter when it gets bad, you ARE isolated. Need to add in too that the mindset of the people here is COMPLETELY different than elsewhere in the US. 

My Hubby actually works in Devils Lake at Camp Grafton.  We get asked all the time why we don't live there... Yes he drives 80 miles one way to work BUT the cost of living where we are at PLUS the cost of him driving is STILL cheaper than us moving to DL... Plus we have the horses, the boys are in a smaller school and we're in a better community. 

Ilovemybbgrl - Seriously though, if you have any questions message me.  More than happy to help out.  I would hate to see you make the choice to move here just to regret it after a short time and move back out of state. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN