Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

The Duggars: An Adoption Story?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 206 Replies
3 moms liked this

I just saw tonight's episode and Michelle was talking about the orphanage in China and said that they are open to the option for adoption if that is the path that the Lord leads them too.

What do you think about this?  Do you think that they will ever take that step?

I think it would be wonderful and I know a lot of people think they need to quit but I still would think it would be wonderful.

Opinions?

ETA: Just clarifying. They didn't say they were going to adopt from China but adopting in general. They were just in China visiting the orphanage and thought about adopting but NOT from China lol
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM
27 moms liked this
I love the them. They are a wonderful family and any child would be blessed to be adopted by them.
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on May. 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree.  I think they have so much love to give that is would be amazing for them to do this.

Quoting Bmama1:

I love the them. They are a wonderful family and any child would be blessed to be adopted by them.

sjump25
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:59 AM
8 moms liked this

Eh.. IDK.  I think it might be time for them to step back and just be grandparents at this point.  But they are awesome parents so if they do adopt that baby would be lucky to have them.

missg8
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM

That is neat.

hollydaze1974
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM
22 moms liked this
I have wierd things to say about this. I'll keep them to myself as to not be unintentionally inflammatory.
mcginnisc
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM

It won't happen with China. They don't meet the requirements set forth by the Chinese government. 

1.) Age is a huge factor with China

2.) Age and number of children already in the home is a MAJOR factor for China.

3.) The wait for a child from China is currently almost 7 years and I forsee China moving towards closing the program except for SN children very soon since the wait for a referral is so long for NSN right now and it is over a year for SN. Friends of mine that have already adopted a SN child from China are in their second wait now. It has already been over a year since they were matched with Charlotte ( that is what they are naming her).. heck, our wait was 2 years and we adopted NSN 6 years ago. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

tonijustine
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM
18 moms liked this

I have all kinds of problems with this.  A child coming from an orphanage, or an older child coming into this brand new culture will require a lot of personalized attention for years and they have shown a decided lack of commitment to hands on parenting once a new child arrives.  They would also probably disrupt the birth order because international adoption is generally older kids. Most professionals discourage disrupting birth order. And I would also be concerned about being the only conspicuously different child in that huge family. How do they not look like the "token" adopted child. Is that family unit string enough to let a new child develop their own interests and talents outside of the "Duggar" standard? Because biology does sometimes lead a person to different talents and skills and it would be very damaging to assume they will be just like every other Duggar child and fit that mould.

Marz31
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM
3 moms liked this

I think 19 is enough, especially between all the problems with #19, their age and that they already have 2 grands and I bet we'll see a few more marriages in the NEAR future with more grands right behind. I know it's part of their religion to want more and more.....and absolutely, my husband is adopted and he's like his family in ways, but SO not like them in others, blood has a lot to do with how well those kids are doing in such a large family. 

lilbit53009
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM
4 moms liked this

i think they need to stop. a child bring brought into their way of life might not work either...it's not something everyone can adjust to

OwlNuggets
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM
60 moms liked this

I think their family acts like a cult and they're fucking batshit insane :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN