Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

My dog has been carried off

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 74 Replies
1 mom liked this
Let me preface my story by saying we live on a farm 5 miles from our only neighbor. Our dogs are farm dogs and have never been fenced in, and have never run off or had any problems.

2 nights ago my boxer Freddy and my corgi mix Penny were outside as usual. Typically they stay out during the day and then come in at night. Freddy came to the sliding glass door and was foaming at the mouth and barking like crazy at something at something we couldn't see. Note that I'm a former vet tech and know my dog didn't have rabies or anything, he's UTD on all shots. In any event, he was barking and howling and we didn't see Penny with him. It's unusual for him to be afraid of anything out here, he barks at people but when it comes to animals out here, he's fought and killed coyotes and bobcats so he isn't typically afrid enough to run away when our home is approached by wild animals not welcome here.

Anyway, we put their food and water out instead of trying to being him in because Penny wasn't with him and she's a small dog not capable of defending herself without him, and yesterday I went out to take a walk with my son. We walked over two miles and Penny and Freddy always walk with us but Penny never showed. My husband who was working in our barn hasn't seen her either. Let me just say she is so friendly shed never miss the chance to be right there with anyone outside. I spent all day calling her and looking for her and she's still missing.

So I'm afraid that a wild animal came up to the house that night and carried her off and that's what Freddy was barking about. I'm devastated but my husband isn't really a dog person so he says I shouldn't be upset and we will just get another dog. I don't want any advice or anything I just needed to unload and be sad a minute.
{Dibs the Pixi Stix Fiend}
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleywtwins
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM
We have recently lost two dogs to coyote attacks. We know its coyotes because we have put up trail cameras. It's like they call the dogs out of the yard and then a whole pack attacks and carries them off.
Dibsy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM
It's bad out here too, we have a huge pack that lives out here, we have a couple hundred head of cattle out here in pens and they live off the deads. It's awful. Freddy has been torn up several times and has a huge scar on his back and almost had his leg taken off as a puppy because of it, but he did heal and has full use of it now. It's just sad because Penny was a sweet girl and a good dog.
OwlNuggets
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM

If you could hear your dog barking, you would have been able to hear the screams of agony if your other dog had gotten mauled by a wild pack.
I'd say your pup may have gotten kidnapped. 
Corgis are a highly stolen breed. 

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Why didn't you go out and see why your dog was freaking out? You shouldn't own pets if you can't take care of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dibsy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
5 moms liked this
You shouldn't speak if you don't know what you're talking about. I did go try and see what he was barking about but it was the middle of the night in the middle of a huge farm. You shouldn't be a mother if you have zero compassion. I've been a good pet owner my entire life, and an incident of an animal being carried off in the middle of the night has nothing to do with my ability to be a good pet owner.
Dibsy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Not to mention I'd rather not take my seven month old son outside in the pitch black to confront wild animals. And leaving him alone in the house, now that'd be superb parenting.
Dibsy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM
That's true. It'd be very unusual for someone to be out here though, especially be out here and me not notice it. I'm not sure what may have happened.
emilyelephant
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Have you called your local shelter to see if they picked him up anywhere? I hope shecomes back :(

Dibsy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Thank you, I hope she shows up too. I called pound but they haven't seen her as of yet, and the neighbor is out of town until tomorrow but hopefully when they get back they'll see her out there.
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM
So your husband doesn't live with you now? And the child would have been alseep. I'm sure you have a monitor. And I seriously doubt you have 5 miles of farm land. We own a huge farm and our animals knows where they are allowed and if one goes missing we as actual responsible animal owners would go look for them ALL night. They are our family. You should not own animals if you cannot provide safety for them period.

Quoting Dibsy:

Not to mention I'd rather not take my seven month old son outside in the pitch black to confront wild animals. And leaving him alone in the house, now that'd be superb parenting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN