Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Teacher requests

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 102 Replies
Just curious- do you make teacher requests for your kids?

What is your school's attitude about this?

If you make requests, what is the protocol?
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SP_Mama
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM

We did for DS.  We emailed the principal and told him which teacher we would like for DS and why and asked that he please consider our request.

DS got the teacher we requested, but the teacher was shocked to hear we'd requested her and he got her because apparently it's rare for the principal to grant requests like that.

jenk928
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM

The schools here won"t do it.
I have demanded that my daughter not be in classes with certain kids tho. The school does do that.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 2, 2013 at 6:40 AM
I guess you had a compelling reason! :)

Quoting SP_Mama:

We did for DS.  We emailed the principal and told him which teacher we would like for DS and why and asked that he please consider our request.

DS got the teacher we requested, but the teacher was shocked to hear we'd requested her and he got her because apparently it's rare for the principal to grant requests like that.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 2, 2013 at 6:42 AM
That is good that they are open to some feedback from parents I would think...

Quoting jenk928:

The schools here won"t do it.
I have demanded that my daughter not be in classes with certain kids tho. The school does do that.

STVUstudent
by on May. 2, 2013 at 7:03 AM

We started in a new school this year, so we really didn't know anyone, including the teachers.  For next year, we are asking that our twins be kept together and that baby girl goes into the kindergarten classroom that my son had this year. 

The school accomodates parental requests when they can...

pixie-buttercup
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM

We're not allowed to request a specific teacher, but we can request who we DON'T want. 

Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 2, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Ours does too - which I think is great!

Quoting STVUstudent:

We started in a new school this year, so we really didn't know anyone, including the teachers.  For next year, we are asking that our twins be kept together and that baby girl goes into the kindergarten classroom that my son had this year. 

The school accomodates parental requests when they can...

mommy053008
by on May. 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Ours doesn't apparently if you ask they give you a diff teacher.
mcginnisc
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Mine go to private school. We are not allowed to request specific teachers. I have been very very pleased thus far with the teachers my girls have had. My youngest turned 4 a mere 2 days before school started this past year. Her teacher has been amazingly patient with her and she has excelled with this teacher. My oldest actually got a first year teacher and we were *slightly* worried about that...there was no reason at all to be worried. Lilly is reading on a 5th grade level, and has had all A's in her classroom. She is so patient with the kids and we just adore her. 

I thought it was interesting that Lilly's BFF's mother requested that the girls be together. She told me that as a teacher, she is able to request a certain teacher, but she did not do so..she just requested that our girls stay together. :-) The school honored that request and the "Bobsey twins" as I like to call them were together for another year. Hopefully, the trend will continue as they are sooo happy together and inseparable. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

tammeee3
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Technically they won't honor any requests but if you.have a good reason they will.. i have never reqiested..my youngest had always been. Quiet and i always hoped for a more outgoing teacher for her ...the teachers have some in put and have always gotten it right so far.. she will be going into middke school next year .so that isn't really a concern anymore
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)