Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Could you resort to cannibalism?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 20 Replies

If you were starving and the only things to eat were your pets and people near you who had already passed on, could you resort to cannibalism to survive?

Cannibalism evidence found at Jamestown settlement

"The historical record is chilling. Early Jamestown colony leader George Percy wrote of a "world of miseries," that included digging up corpses from their graves to eat when there was nothing else. "Nothing was spared to maintain life," he wrote."

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I don't think I could do it.  I just don't think so.

Jenn_A
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I've never gone more than 24 hours with out food, so I doubt that I could make a judgement call on that. I would hope that if my family, or anyone really, was starving to that  point, that they would eat me to save their life. I mean, is it different than organ donors? Saving a life is saving a life!!

notadramamama
by Tina on May. 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never been put in the position of starving to death so it's impossible for me to know what  my reaction would be.  Survival instincts are there for survival.

sjump25
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Oh gosh I have no idea. My first thought is hell no, but I've never been that hungry. I hope I never have to find out
1CrazyCajun
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I don't think anyone can say for definite yes or no, until they are in that situation.

I'd like to say yes I could, but only because I don't want to die until I'm an old lady.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting/Crunchy not quite your style?Come join other like minded moms.

Sunshine2plus2
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM

It would be very hard to do.

bottomline
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM

If I were ice cream and the other flavors had expired...I would not have a problem. lol 

I can answer this question because it's taboo, it's "last resort" thinking.  You will do the unbelievable to survive situations.  But it would take a life or death situation for the reality of canibalism to sink in and even be considered an option.   

motherslove82
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think the people who resort to it ever think they will until they are in that position. I'm sure, given the right circumstances, most of us would do what we had to to stay alive. The survival instinct is a powerful thing.
mikandwheezy
by New Member on May. 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

nope. my dad goes fishing for trout every day. then he fries it up for dinner occassionally. its not bad but i have to gag it down. just the thought of eating something HE went out caught and skinned does not settle well with me. 

Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Unless in that situation, I don't think you'd know.

I'd suspect in truly desperate times, most would.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)