Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Getting high around kids?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Amy
  • 43 Replies

So, last weekend I was at a party to celebrate my friend's son's 16th birthday (he and my daughter are exactly 3 months apart).  There was alcohol at the party so most of us had a wine cooler or a margarita.  Three parents (a single mom and a married couple) decided that they were going to share a joint on top of the alcohol they'd consumed, and the single mom was already pretty well lit just from drinking.

I didn't say anything, but did talk to my daughter when we left.  I felt that it was just not an appropriate time/place for parents to be getting high, or drunk, when they had kids at the party.

Would you have said anything to these parents?  Do you think what they did was ok under the circumstances?  Am I just too "straight" when it comes to stuff like this?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy9164
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:51 AM

was it their house? then its their choice, just like you made the choice to leave. its ok to not want to be around it. i respect that 100% i myself am a smoker, now i dont do it around my kids, just like i wouldnt have a cig around them, but its my choice. if choose to smoke pot in my home with my friends at a gathering that im having, and i have for the record, its my choice. but its always in a place away from children,and others, like in the garage 

mamer12812
by New Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM

i would not say anything it is there choice but i wouldnt want mykids around that i dont want my kids to be like that i want my kid to be steered into the right direction with success and not be a follower im going to make sure of that i myself couldnt handle being told what to do by my own child or disrespected and wouldnt be just good luck girl and stand your ground no matter what.

toadilyawesome
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Personally I do not agree with getting high around the kids. I would NOT ever do it . Pot or not. I just dont agree with it. I would have also been forced to leave. I know its their house so their choice but there is also a thing called respect. So many lack it these days.

rocky_mtn_mama
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM

It's definitely NOT something I would do. 

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Drinking no issue with me.  The minute the drugs came out I would have left.

amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM

No, it was not their house.  It was the sister of the married woman who lived there.

Quoting mommy9164:

was it their house? then its their choice, just like you made the choice to leave. its ok to not want to be around it. i respect that 100% i myself am a smoker, now i dont do it around my kids, just like i wouldnt have a cig around them, but its my choice. if choose to smoke pot in my home with my friends at a gathering that im having, and i have for the record, its my choice. but its always in a place away from children,and others, like in the garage 

amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Not their house, but the homeowner didn't say anything.  One of the women is her sister.

Quoting toadilyawesome:

Personally I do not agree with getting high around the kids. I would NOT ever do it . Pot or not. I just dont agree with it. I would have also been forced to leave. I know its their house so their choice but there is also a thing called respect. So many lack it these days.

amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

We did leave shortly after the pot came out.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Drinking no issue with me.  The minute the drugs came out I would have left.

BoogaBooBaby
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM

No I do not believe it was acceptable at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bottomline
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM

This is not something I would ever do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN