Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Getting high around kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

So, last weekend I was at a party to celebrate my friend's son's 16th birthday (he and my daughter are exactly 3 months apart).  There was alcohol at the party so most of us had a wine cooler or a margarita.  Three parents (a single mom and a married couple) decided that they were going to share a joint on top of the alcohol they'd consumed, and the single mom was already pretty well lit just from drinking.

I didn't say anything, but did talk to my daughter when we left.  I felt that it was just not an appropriate time/place for parents to be getting high, or drunk, when they had kids at the party.

Would you have said anything to these parents?  Do you think what they did was ok under the circumstances?  Am I just too "straight" when it comes to stuff like this?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
bigmama423
by Liz on May. 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I would have asked them to pass it my way! ;) Besides that, no I wouldn't have said anything, and I don't see a problem with it. If it was a party for younger kids, then it would have been inappropriate.

Bmama1
by Bernadette on May. 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM
I agree with this... mostly.

Quoting mommy9164:

was it their house? then its their choice, just like you made the choice to leave. its ok to not want to be around it. i respect that 100% i myself am a smoker, now i dont do it around my kids, just like i wouldnt have a cig around them, but its my choice. if choose to smoke pot in my home with my friends at a gathering that im having, and i have for the record, its my choice. but its always in a place away from children,and others, like in the garage 

Bmama1
by Bernadette on May. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I like you. Lol.

Quoting bigmama423:

I would have asked them to pass it my way! ;) Besides that, no I wouldn't have said anything, and I don't see a problem with it. If it was a party for younger kids, then it would have been inappropriate.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
It's funny people have no problem with the alcohol and everyone driving afterwards but dear lord there was a joint......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmama423
by Liz on May. 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Quoting marchantmom06:

It's funny people have no problem with the alcohol and everyone driving afterwards but dear lord there was a joint......

Very good point!

The answer for that is always, well alcohol is legal and weed isn't.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
But drinking and driving is illegal. And a lot of people don't realize alcohol was once illegal too!

Quoting bigmama423:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Very good point!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyelephant
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I don't care what people do around their own kids, but it's inconsiderate to do that around other people's children. If it's illegal in your state, it's also really dumb of them... I wouldn't have said anything, just would have left.

flcowgrl23
by New Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I personally would have gone out like a teenager and smoked where the kids wouldn't notice.
daisykat
by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Are you kidding me? *sigh* Doesn't anyone think about setting an example anymore? I wouldn't want my kid seeing that and thinking, hey, this is what folks do at parties. Listen, I'm NOT anti-pot. Not at all. BUT- being that it's illegal and people were already drunk just shows a lack of good judgment. What would have happened had someone been drowning in the pool, or for some reason had been hit by a car, or some other accident? Parents need to have their wits about them when watching a group of kids because you never know what might occur where the grown-ups have to intervene. Adults are in charge for a reason. Because they're the ones who are supposed to be responsible and on their toes. Ridiculous.
amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Actually, I live in Colorado... weed became legal here this year.

Quoting bigmama423:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Very good point!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)