Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do you read with your older child?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 17 Replies

Do you read to/with your older children?  

What about reading books that they have read or reading them before you'll let them read them?  Do you talk about the books that you read "together"?  

My kids and I have all read (concurrently, not together) the Percy Jackson series, Hunger Games series, Harry Potter series, etc.  We enjoy being able to read them and talk about the story lines, our favorite characters, etc.

by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM

We do read together... not often, but occasionally. 

jenk928
by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Yes. With all 3 kids. Same series as you. And now the Beautiful Creatures series with my older daughter..
I love it. Being able to talk to them about it and laugh and speculate about what we hope will happen.
We are currently waiting on "House of Hades" book and "Son of Neptune" moviie
bottomline
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I think it's an awesome activity. I wish more parents would do it.

rocky_mtn_mama
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM

We are waiting on those too.  Even preordered Son of Sobek and can't wait for that one to come out.

Quoting jenk928:

Yes. With all 3 kids. Same series as you. And now the Beautiful Creatures series with my older daughter..
I love it. Being able to talk to them about it and laugh and speculate about what we hope will happen.

zboys
by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM

My son and husband have done this with sci-fi books of which I am not a fan.  At least they got to enjoy the activity.

bigmama423
by Liz on May. 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Not as much as I should... My 7yr old loves reading, 8yr old hates anything to do with school and learning, 4yr old doesn't care to sit still and the same goes for my soon to be 2yr old..

EireLass
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

We started reading with them when they were toddlers. We read 'for fun' through the day, but at naptime and bedtime we always had a book. And then as they got older, they were allowed to have the light on and read for 1 hour after they got into bed.

arthistmom
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I think my husband and I will be so sad when we can't do this with our boys anymore. Even though our second grader can read/likes to read to himself, he still also loves being read to. I just started Treasure Island with him and we're on the look-out for the one-legged man.

jenk928
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM
I meant Sea of Monsters movie.. 15 year old corrected me.. lol

Quoting rocky_mtn_mama:

We are waiting on those too.  Even preordered Son of Sobek and can't wait for that one to come out.

Quoting jenk928:

Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Ds1 is reading the Percy Jackson series.

I don't read them "with" him, but we "trade" his book off so I can keep up with him. That way we can talk about the boo together.

We still read with ds2, as he is a pre-k-er!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN