Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Any advice would be great!!!

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM
  • 6 Replies

My brother just had a baby and the mother of the child may be getting in some trouble and so the baby would get taken away from her and my brother is in no position to take the baby so my mom told him that before the goes into foster care that he needs to call me to take the baby so i was just wondering if anyone knew if i would be getting any help from the sate to take care of her and i really hope that i don't come off as me just wanting to take care of this baby for the money its just me and my husband are already struggling to make ends meat and he works full time and i work part time and i really don't want this my niece to go into foster care so like i said if you know anything about this stuff please help me with any advise you may have.

by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on May. 6, 2013 at 1:45 AM
More than likely you would be receiving some monetary help for taking care of the baby, yes.
imentall
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Ur brother isn't planning on paying child support? That's what I'd imagine you'd b getting. Plus I'm sure wic for formula.
TheDoctorsWife
by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM
I've never been in a situation like this. I'm sure you'd get help from cps though
Traci2012
by New Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I am in somewhat similar situation. My daughter dropped off her 2 daughters with me 2 months ago. It has been a struggle. I may be able to give you some insite. What state do you live in?

Traci2012
by New Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I see that you are from Oklahoma. Im not familiar with that state. WIC (usually administered thru your Health Dept) will provide you with formula and then additional foods as she gets older. You will need some kind of documentation that the child resides with you. My daughter handwrote a letter stating she gave me temp custody and it was witnessed by 2 others. They accepted that. As did Dept of Human Services where the girls got a medical card and I applied for assistance for the child care costs. As far as financial assistance, there is little out there, at least in IL. DHS has a small supplement called and RPY case which I could qualify for about $90 a month for each child. We did not go through DCFS. It gets a little messy.

bigmama423
by Liz on May. 6, 2013 at 7:13 PM
I have no clue, though I assume the state will help a little.
I hope things go smoothly for all of you, that's got to be tough.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)