Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

How would you proceed with this situation? (somewhat about marketing my talent)

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 3 Replies

n 2010 and 2011 I created a program book for a small business my dd teaches at she also participates there as well. The books both years were beautiful (previous years they were down right horrible). Everyone was impressed with my work. I was told by the business mgr that the job was mine as long as I wanted it(its not really a "job"...I voluntarily do it). Anyhow last year I assumed I'd be doing the book again and since I hadn't heard from the owner,I contacted her. She said someone else had asked to do the book, so she was letting them do it. Boy was I hurt, disappointed, mad, etc. When the program came out, it was horrible! It was not professionally done and you could tell the person didnt care. Also, the owner got mad at him because he left an ad out of the program! She had him on the day of the event print up the missing page and add them to the program. I was disappointed in the book as its to be a keepsake for parents/grandparents. Hundreds of people see this book, so it reflects badly on the business for it to look like that. I really wanted to tell other parents to voice their opinion of the book to the owner. It was that horrible.

Now, this year I thought about doing a small marketing campaign (to her and a couple of other similar businesses) and put it in the mail tomorrow. The event is over 1 month away. But tonight she handed out papers regarding the program book and how much ads were and it was a keepsake for parents. I actually laughed because she wrote in for parents to look at last years program as ad samples! If was new to that business and I saw last years program, I surely would not pay money for an ad to look as terrible as those did. my question is. Should I go forward with the campaign or do u think its too late. I'm not sure if she has anybody doing the book at this point. She could be getting the ball rolling as far as I know. What I do know is that I don't ever want to see a program book look that bad again. I'm so wanting to put in my materials about how a professional looking program is a reflection of their business. It's a keepsake that parents/grandparents will be proud of due to the quality if their child's ad or business ad. Etc etc.

So any advice on what you would do would be appreciated. If you think I should, then include some points I can make and maybe some ideas on what you would send. Im going to be sending it off as a business, rather than personal. im also going to offer, instead of charging them, exchange for ad space. I really want to send "don't let your ads look like this, you want them like this" and provide samples of the program...but I think it would be a copyright issue. thanks!

EDIT>>>After writing this, I thought maybe I should just make it even more simplier and just send her a quick facebook message and say... Just got your Program Ad flier last night. I was wondering if you have decided on anyone to design the program book because I would like to do it. I was very disappointed in the program book last year and feel that the program book should look professional and reflect a positive image of your business. As well as giving parents, grandparents and everyone else a book they can cherish for a lifetime. I would be willing to do the program in exchange for placing a full page ad, which is no cost to you. Everything is ready and set up to go as well as most of the program contents (except ad's). I will provide drafts for you to look over for final approval and once that is done, final copies will be provided to your on week before the event. Thank you for your consideration. Tina

by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Did you hear back from her yet?
Boomboompow12
by New Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

No I have not.  It doesnt suprise me one bit tho.  She has fb on her iphone and knows about stuff instantly, but is slow to respond to me I guess.  Im thinking tho its going to be a No like last year.  Last year it  was "no, a friend of mine asked to do the book and Im going to let them".  Found out later this "friend" was a parent of a student.  Book was unprofessional, pictures distorted where the person looked too fat or skinny, ad's werent properly centered, one ad laps over another, some ad's where smaller than the page size the parent paid for, etc.  The only good ad's were business ads for which some one else created and it was just copied onto the book.  Oh well!

amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I like the note you sent after.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN