Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Parties

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 18 Replies
I'm an independent consultant with Thirty-One and I'm trying to get an idea of why YOU would say no to having a party?

If all you had to do was invite some girlfriends over put the chips and soda out why say no? This isn't a sex toy party so you wouldn't have to ship your kids & husband out.
And YOU get FREE stuff!!!

by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nurse1997
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Really im not a fan of parties people  always say you dont need to buy any thing but you really do ;] I dont like bothering people either just me thou but good luck ! 

sjump25
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't really like the Thirty one bags and I just don't like having those parties because I feel like I am pressuring people into buying something they may not really want.

sabrtooth1
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM
6 moms liked this

They just recruited you, right? Betcha spent a small fortune on your "kit".

Let me tell you, home parties were invented in the 50's (when you weren't alive yet) for selling to women who didn't have cell phones, computers, malls to shop at, or cars of their own to get places. It relied on women who had a circle of friends in similar circumstance, within a SMALL geographic area, who would consider this a fun get-together. People thought quilting bees were fun get-togethers back then, too.

And even back then, the people who made money on this kind of venture did not do it on their SALES, they made it on their recruits.

Honey, NOBODY wants to go to these things any more. No one has the time. No one has THAT many friends anymore. Nobody likes to put their friends and family in the position of feeling pressured to buy. And even if you say they aren't, they ARE pressured to buy things they don't really want, with money they don't really have, because they feel obligated to do something for the hostess. Who spent her day cleaning the house, and HER money on food and drink.

Plus, you can find the same kind of merchandise cheaper on line, often with NO tax, and have it shipped to your house for free. While shopping in your husband's old sweats, at 11 pm, with a glass of wine in hand, and no need to drive home afterward.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on May. 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I have to agree with this, sorry :-/

Quoting sabrtooth1:

They just recruited you, right? Betcha spent a small fortune on your "kit".

Let me tell you, home parties were invented in the 50's (when you weren't alive yet) for selling to women who didn't have cell phones, computers, malls to shop at, or cars of their own to get places. It relied on women who had a circle of friends in similar circumstance, within a SMALL geographic area, who would consider this a fun get-together. People thought quilting bees were fun get-togethers back then, too.

And even back then, the people who made money on this kind of venture did not do it on their SALES, they made it on their recruits.

Honey, NOBODY wants to go to these things any more. No one has the time. No one has THAT many friends anymore. Nobody likes to put their friends and family in the position of feeling pressured to buy. And even if you say they aren't, they ARE pressured to buy things they don't really want, with money they don't really have, because they feel obligated to do something for the hostess. Who spent her day cleaning the house, and HER money on food and drink.

Plus, you can find the same kind of merchandise cheaper on line, often with NO tax, and have it shipped to your house for free. While shopping in your husband's old sweats, at 11 pm, with a glass of wine in hand, and no need to drive home afterward.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

KFarrington05
by New Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Thanks for everyone's opinions!!

I only started a few months ago on my own nobody recruited me. I just loved the products and thought why not give it a shot.

People are obviously still hosting parties because I've been to a bunch (other companies) and I've personally has some. If people come I feel like they like the product and purchase a little something if they it.
I've had parties where not of if people have bought things. It is what is is. I was just asking :)
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Time. Nearly every evening we already have activities, ir if we do have a night free we kind of like to unwind at home. Selection I can buy a bag or cookware or beauty supplies or lingerie at nordstroms or Macys and not be limited. Also if I invite you to a bag party then you invite me to a trunk show or tupperware, then we are feeling like we must buy even if we weren't needing anything.
SWasson
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Because I wouldn't invite my friends over to make them sit through a sales presentation; because I wouldn't want to pressure my friends to buy stuff (and most people feel pressured just because they were invited over.)

PurpleHazey
by Angie on May. 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I love party's that are done from the books (book party)

bigmama423
by Liz on May. 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Cause I'm not into that kinda thing...I guess.

disneymom2two
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:32 AM

I'm an independent consultant for a different direct sales company and I have always hated having parties for other companies although I don't mind going to them most of the time.  No one recruited me; I saw it years ago in Womans World magazine, was interested and contacted the company.  I do it basically to get the food at a discount because I love it and I do a lot of reorder business; I don't have time to do a lot of parties.  I think time is the number one reason its hard to get people to have parties- everyone is busy and going in multiple directions; they figure a home party is the thing they need to add to their schedule especially since most will feel pressured to buy something.  Another reason is that there are SO many home parties now.  I've had times recently where I've gotten invites to 4 in a month; that's  a lot of time to commit combined with other family and social obligations and work.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)