Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Moved & was told no doctor will take me, I am 37 wks & stressed! Advice please!!

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 2:49 AM
  • 12 Replies
I am 37 weeks pregnant this week. My family and I just moved an hour an a half away from our old residence a week ago. The past 3 days I've had to go to a local hospitals L&D. After being admitted yesterday for extremely low blood platelets I was told by the on call doctor and the nurses that there was no way I would be able to switch to a doctor close to our new home because I am so far along and also high risk. What the heck?!? So what do woman do that move out of state and so forth? My husban works and can not miss many days once the baby comes (I have to have a csection) so I would like to see a doctor not too far away for the rest of my prenatal care. Not to mention I am extremely pissed with my current OB & hematogist (that are an hour and a half away) for not communicating, staying on top of, or giving me the correct care if my platelets were so low. I WANT A NEW DOCTOR, BY MY NEW HOUSE :( has anyone heard of something like this before? I didn't think a doctors office would say "no, I can't take you because you are high risk and too far" it just doesn't seem right to me :(
by on May. 19, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 6:16 AM
What kind of insurance do you have? Most people would have planned ahead, and coordinated with a dr in the new city, and transferring records from previous providers. You should call your old Dr, asking them to refer you to someone they recommend in your town..you will prob have better luck being accepted this way. Otherwise you may be stuck using the ER for the next three weeks....or driving an hour and a half to your old drs.
Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM
No idea - but I hope you find someone!!!
VintageWife
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I've heard of people having trouble getting a provider when they move in the last couple months of pregnancy. You'll most likely have to deliver with the on-call dr when you go into labor. I don't know what you can do about prenatal care till then though.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on May. 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I moved 2000 miles from my home when I was 6mths or so. I couldn't get a new doc so I had to go to the on call. I think it' s real dumb docs most of the time won't take on new patients like that.
The_Doodle
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I'd call and ask the original ob/gyn to refer you to someone...maybe that will make it easier? I moved when I was 5 months and I couldn't get into a lot of doctor's offices, either.
ClassicalMom3
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I think that is quite common, the dr's not taking new patients that are far along. I'm not sure there is anything you can do.

bigmama423
by Liz on May. 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I agree, talk to your old/current obgyn and see if there's anything they can do to get you in with another doctor.
I was scheduled for a c-section but went into labor really late one night and unfortunately got stuck with an on call Dr. I didn't like it! Good luck!!
ElisMommysAngel
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Thank you all. I am going to see my original OB Monday and am going to ask him to help me out being that I am having complications and don't want to drive that far anymore. Originally my plan was to still deliver with my OB that's an hour and a half away, especially since it is supposed to be a scheduled csection but now that I've been having problems I really just want to be with a doc close to my new home and a hospital close just to be safe if anything happens. I have a PPO
Bmama1
by Bernadette on May. 19, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Hope everything works out!
ddrw89
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I wish you the best, I moved when I was a month from delivery and I was also a high risk, being military at the time, my doctor just called the base I was going to go to and they passed on the information to the doctors there.  When I got there I had to see the doctor and he connected me to an EKG and monitored the baby for about 30 minutes, just to ensure everything was okay.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN