Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Gays allowed?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM
  • 14 Replies

Did you hear about the Boy Scout vote yesterday?  They (finally) are allowing gay boys to join.... but they're still now allowing GLBT leaders, so what are those boys supposed to do when they get older and want to teach others what they've learned?

Are you more or less inclined to allow your sons to be scouts now?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on May. 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't understand people's resistance when it comes to organizations allowing this. If my son or daughters want to join Scouts, my decision is not based on this. I don't mind at all. Everyone is a person. The same blood runs through us all.
bottomline
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I am not homophobic so I think it's a good decision. Allowing gay people to participate does not increase the likely hood of molestation, which is what some people believe. Good grief.

I wouldn't even ask the question, "Are they any gay kids in this troop", if I were signing my kids up for scouts.  

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on May. 24, 2013 at 5:36 PM

If my son wants join he can join

CrossStitchMum
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Unless there were PDA's in front of the kids it shouldn't matter
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:08 PM
We welcome all in our council and troop .
bigmama423
by Liz on May. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't make any difference to me. I hope they change, and allow gay leaders as well, they have no reason not to.
Perle1
by on May. 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I was glad they changed the rules to allow gay kids, but very disappointed they chose to continue to discriminate against LGBT's by making a rule against gay troop leaders. I'll be glad when discrimination is a thing of the past for all.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM
This.

Quoting Perle1:

Yeah, I was glad they changed the rules to allow gay kids, but very disappointed they chose to continue to discriminate against LGBT's by making a rule against gay troop leaders. I'll be glad when discrimination is a thing of the past for all.

BaBeezandMe
by CakeChic on May. 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I don't understand why this has to be voted on!  The scouts are another organization that needs to step into modern times and out of the dark ages!!

I would NOT make a decision to have my sons join based on someone elses sexual orientation whether it was a leader or another scout!  That's none of my or anyone elses business!  Being gay, lesbian, straight or transgender should never be a reason to judge another person!!  The GOD I believe in loves all people because he created them...he NEVER makes a mistake!

I love and accept ALL people and that's what I teach my boys also.

Bookwormy
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I think gay boys have *always* been members of BSA. I think that G&L youth are 2-3.5x more likely to attempt suicide & need *healthy* adult G&L role models. Therefore, I think BSA should allow gay leaders as well.

I only have a daughter, so it doesn't affect my family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)