Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

My dad has Alzheimer's and I'm worried

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM
  • 10 Replies

More than likely he doesn't have long term care insurance on his policy and if state aid pickes up the acces IF long term care is needed...(then what)  I'm so scared of what the future will bring. Many of my family members have died with this disease. Anyone else have advise? 

by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bigmama423
by Liz on May. 27, 2013 at 1:05 AM
My step grandpa has had it for awhile now, along with dementia. I know nothing insurance wise. I know its very hard to handle at times though... :/
GirlWithANikon
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:22 AM

can he stay with you instead of entering a care facility? I have no experience with this but my very good friend's gmom died of it and lived with her family til it happened years and years later.

Sunshine257
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:26 AM
I watched a news show about coconut oil every day helps keep it from getting worse.. I hope no one in my family gets it. I have heard how difficult it can be. I hope you get answers.
amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM

No advice, but wanted to give you a big hug.  I've had 2 grandparents who had dementia/alzheimers and one of my uncles is in the beginning stages.  

hugs

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on May. 27, 2013 at 1:42 PM
My husband's maternal grandparents both had it. One died of a heart attack and the other died a couple weeks after from a broken heart. He was just too sad to go on without her.

Anyway, Alzheimer's is awful. I'm sorry.
Amber3118
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Could he stay at home or with you (like mentioned above) and possibly have some in home care from a home health aide or private duty nurse? I'm a practical nurse and I've worked in an alzheimer's unit If it were me I would save the high cost of long term care if possible and try to find someone who is great working with alzheimer's/dementia patients and has compassion for the elderly. It would be more affordable if insurance doesn't cover his costs (you could try care.com) Or make a schedule for family that can help out. I second the coconut oil suggestion from above, we were giving that to our patients daily to stop progression....I wish you the best of luck...don't forget to take time out for yourself too!! 

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM

It's a horrible disease, I'm sorry. Spend as much time with him as you can. His long term memory will last longer, sing old songs, talk about your childhood memories with him. If he starts wandering make sure he has an ID bracelet he can't remove. Hide the car keys if you have to. They have good days and bad days. I think medicare will pay for his care only after he uses up all his money. If he does have LTC insurance call them now so he can be evaluated and can start the "elimination period".

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on May. 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I have no advice but just wanted say I am sorry

Jennifer6712
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Yeah somedays are better than other's for him. I do have a sister and two brother's but they live several states away. I am the only family here that could possibly make any kind of effort to help: unfortunately my children are still young-(I am the baby of the four kids)-this is just the worst thing that would have happened. I'm not sure what's stage he is in...but I will defiantly get the coconut oil it wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the advise
lnrmom
by New Member on May. 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM
No advice, but every woman in my family has succumbed to that horrid disease. Just love him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN