Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Are you an introvert? What is the one thing...

Posted by on May. 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM
  • 46 Replies
2 moms liked this

...you wish extroverts would understand about you? 

I am always being told to "come out of my shell". What shell, damn it!? This is my personality lol. 

by on May. 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on May. 28, 2013 at 8:00 PM

yes, all the time.  I have been told I have to just put myself out there but can't make myself no matter how hard I try.

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I know it is easier said than done. Putting yourself out there is scary scary scary.

Quoting hayliedlr:

yes, all the time.  I have been told I have to just put myself out there but can't make myself no matter how hard I try.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on May. 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM
yes, def I sometimes get panic attacks Quoting Bonneata:

I know it is easier said than done. Putting yourself out there is scary scary scary.

Quoting hayliedlr:

offrdngal
by Terri on May. 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM
2 moms liked this

leave me alone!!  that's what!! LOL

HollyHobbie76
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Well, introversion isn't social anxiety. Extroverts can be socially anxious as well. If you're having panic attacks, that's something coupled with introversion.

I am an introvert, and I enjoy socializing quite a bit, but I cannot socialize for as long as an extrovert. I also don't socialize in the same way. I will usually get into a deep conversation, or hang out with a few people that I know. It's not that I'm shy; the more talking, and socializing I do, the more drained I get. 

I also get accused of being rude. I am horrible when it comes to putting something in a way that doesn't hurt feelings. I guess it's because that's how I like to be talked to. Then again, rude and direct are not the same thing in my opinion. One thing about an introvert though, you'll probably have a friend for life! 

As far as "getting out there", shoot! What if you don't want to!? That was also my biggest peeve. I am highly entertained in my own head. :-)

Quoting hayliedlr:

HollyHobbie76
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM

How about the obligatory, 'What's wrong? Are you OK?' Oh, man...

Quoting offrdngal:

offrdngal
by Terri on May. 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Ugh...I just want to knock their teeth out when I get aske this.  Sheesh...nothing is wrong...I just want to be left alone!!  Good grief!

Quoting HollyHobbie76:

How about the obligatory, 'What's wrong? Are you OK?' Oh, man...

Quoting offrdngal:

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on May. 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Quoting HollyHobbie76:

Well, introversion isn't social anxiety. Extroverts can be socially anxious as well. If you're having panic attacks, that's something coupled with introversion.

I am an introvert, and I enjoy socializing quite a bit, but I cannot socialize for as long as an extrovert. I also don't socialize in the same way. I will usually get into a deep conversation, or hang out with a few people that I know. It's not that I'm shy; the more talking, and socializing I do, the more drained I get. 

I also get accused of being rude. I am horrible when it comes to putting something in a way that doesn't hurt feelings. I guess it's because that's how I like to be talked to. Then again, rude and direct are not the same thing in my opinion. One thing about an introvert though, you'll probably have a friend for life! 

As far as "getting out there", shoot! What if you don't want to!? That was also my biggest peeve. I am highly entertained in my own head. :-)

Quoting hayliedlr:

I am an introvert though. and I know that introvert isn't social anxiety. I have 2 friends and it's hard to let anyone else in. I gradually open up
HollyHobbie76
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I'm sorry to assume that you didn't know the difference. I have 5 friends, and they have been my friends for most of my life. I'm 37. 

People tend to lump social anxiety and introversion into one big ball of wax. I think that's why I wrote such a length response; I have to explain that a lot! My husband is highly extroverted, but I can give a public speech without batting an eye. He'll have an anxiety attack just at the thought of it. 

Quoting hayliedlr:

Quoting HollyHobbie76:

Quoting hayliedlr:

I am an introvert though. and I know that introvert isn't social anxiety. I have 2 friends and it's hard to let anyone else in. I gradually open up

Roo1234
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM
others should understand that there isn't anything "wrong" with introverts that needs to be fixed
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)