Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My lazy kids - should I make them pay rent?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 127 Replies

Poll

Question: Should 20 year old kids living at home pay rent?

Options:

Yes, of course!

No.

Other. (Please explain in a reply.)

Not yet, but after they've worked awhile.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 140

View Results

I have 20-year old twin boys who aren't sure what they want to be when they grow up.  They're actually not all that interested in growing up, really.  (They don't even have a driver's license yet.)

One of them finally just got his first job.  (They other has applications out and has been on a couple of interviews.)

So, here's the question:

Should I make them pay rent?

Did you live at home at that age?  And did you pay rent?

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I lived at home off and on around that age and didn't pay rent unless I was working.  When my son lived with me a couple of years ago (around age 23) he didn't pay rent but he did help with chores and groceries.

AlyssaN
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM
I was but I was working full time and going to school part time so they said all I had to pay was my own phone bill of course, anything extra I wanted for groceries, and my part of car insurance. I was paying for school out of my own pocket so they have me a break.
Madisonsmommy1
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Yes make them pay rent! My husband n I got a place of our own when I was 20 married when I was 21. But my husband n his brother n sister had to pay rent when they were living at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Texascandee
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM

You can request that they pay rent but if they don't have jobs or just got a job how do you expect them to pay rent?

bigmama423
by Liz on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I say it all depends on the situation I guess.

I never paid rent when I was older and living at home. I did help out, buy food and had to go by my dad's rules, regardless of my age cause I was in his house.

If they're running up water or electric bills, maybe they should chip in will bills or something...

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I voted for the last one. They should get jobs and after working for awhile then have them pay rent. I moved out when I was 16 and haven't been back.
happinessforyou
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea why 20 year old men do not drive/work/pay bills? What's up with that?

happinessforyou
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM

AND- what have they been doing since highschool?

lazyd
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Yea, seriously what have these guys been up to since they graduated from high school??  Have they been working or going to college/tech school/community college??  Your "boys" will still be living with you when they are 40 if you dont put your foot down and make them get jobs, licenses, an education!!  You are enabling them!  If my kids want to live with me when they graduate from high school, i will not have a problem with that BUT they WILL be working - even if it is in fast food - and paying some rent and helping keep the house clean and cooking and paying for groceries.  Your boys can even move out into their own apartment together.  Im sorry, but i am soooo lookin forward to havin an "empty nest".  Are you treating your boys like babies for a reason?

motherslove82
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

By that age, I was married with one kid and one on the way. Yes, we paid rent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)