Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What brings you a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you love summer vacation (schools out! time to occupy them!) with your kids?

Options:

yes, fantastic

I dread it & schedule them to camp

I'm always home with them & I love it

I'm home with them always & I hate it

I have a nannny & don't worry about it either way

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

So today, I have accompished nothing & everything. I have left my kitchen a disaster, despite planning on doing all the dishes before heading out to a park at 1 pm. I managed to empty the dishwasher in between cries and screams from my two year old. I managed to re-attach a dryer hose and run two loads of laundry, though the clean ones are in piles on our bed. I failed at naptime, the two year old is still screaming and the dishes didn't get done because she never went to sleep.  I managed to attach two lights, a star and a moon to the wall next to my children's new bunk beds. 

I looked at the clock and realized it's 4:30, back in the kitchen, the dirty piles staring at me. I feel as though I have accomplished nothing. Though, I have managed to be home today (summer vacation) to care for my two children myself, instead of dropping them at a preschool or daycare (which is over for the school year)  & we have all sorts of things starting next week such as karate and swimming) - though for me, I need some serious sense of accomplishment. I love mothering, my heart is usually content to sheperd my little darling along through the day, but then there are days like this.

Please tell me, how do you enjoy your day, what makes it a good day, as opposed to an unproductive day, a bad day or a terrible day? Do you like structure in the day, or is it free play all day?  thanks! 

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:00 AM

I am always home with the kids and yes I do love it!

sjump25
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM

We need an "other" option.  I am home with them all day and some days I want to pull my hair out and others I really enjoy having them home.  

sjump25
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh and to answer your question.. it's free play all day.  We have a schedule as far as breakfast, lunch, dinner and naptime (for my 3 year old) but otherwise we play outside if we feel like it, my 6 year old and I play card games, they play Legos, video games, watch some tv, play at the neighbors, have the neighbors over.. just whatever we feel like.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I am always home with them and I love it. We are a fly by the seat of our pants type of family.
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Quoting sjump25:

We need an "other" option.  I am home with them all day and some days I want to pull my hair out and others I really enjoy having them home.  

I agree

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Quoting Kmakksmom:

I am always home with them and I love it. We are a fly by the seat of our pants type of family.

I am with

kay1214
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM
A good day is when I my 12yo and I don't struggle with school work, and my 14yo with autism doesn't hit me getting off the schoolbus or hit his brother or put a hole in the wall. I feel a sense of accomplishment if the boys go to bed fairly happy (and early) and I don't feel the need to run through the house screaming and pulling out my hair.
bigmama423
by Liz on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I'm home with them every single day, have been for almost 9 years. I have more bad days then good.
We don't have a structured schedule, just kinda do whatever.
I feel like I've accomplished something if they're all in bed sleeping before 11!!!
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I couldn't vote,lol. I have one homschooled and two public schooled. I love having all of them home. I wish I could keep them home all year long but 13yo dd is adamant she stays in school and dh is insistent that 6yo dd stay if she's doing well :-/

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM

For me, I need structure for the day. But at the end of it, if the dogs were walked, the kids had some outdoor time, stories were read, teeth were brushed and the living room is picked up, I'm happy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)