Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Daycare-how do other moms make it work?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 20 Replies

My two boys (4 yo, 15 mo) have been in daycare since January. Starting next week I will have to start sending them five days a week, vs the 3 they were already going. It is going to cost me $975/month. I have had to take a second job waiting tables appx 5 shifts a week on top of my full-time job just to make ends meet. I'm feeling very frustrated that I have to work a second job just so I can work my first one! Right now my husband makes like $12/hr and they take almost $300 out each paycheck for insurance, so his money barely even counts. He is in school so he can't take a second job. I have to work my first job just to pay our monthly bills. (They aren't extravagant, we don't waste money, don't even have cable tv)

Really I guess I'm just wondering how you do it? How much is daycare for you? Any advice for me?

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rocky_mtn_mama
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I don't pay daycare, but here's a bump for you.

monkeyrhea
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I quit working because we figures out that I was basically working for about $1.25/hr after daycare and insurance came out of my check. It was ridiculous. I am now going to school part-time and have planned out so that I will have my degree and begin work again when they are both in school and daycare won't be a factor.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM
We've never had our kids in daycare, but here's another bump for you.
sabrtooth1
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Many daycares offer sliding scales.  All daycares charge different prices.  Check around.  My older dd was in daycare from 2yo, and my younger from 8 mos.  When my younger was 2, they both went to a daycare/Montessori school.  We always had them one day a week at Grandma's, or with a family friend, so there was somewhere to go if they were too sick for school. 

How did I afford it?  I did not have my first child till I was 29.  I had a very good paying job.  My Dh also had a very good paying job.

I daycare my now 17mo granddaughter.  One day a week, she goes to the other Grandma, because I work.  When she turns 2, she will be in daycare 2 or 3 days a week, for socialization, and to give me a break because I will be 62.  My daughter did not have her child till she was 28.  She and her husband each have jobs paying $20+/hr,  and her husband's provides insurance for a modest fee, because he works for a nationwide company.

My other dd is 32.  She and her fiancee both have excellent jobs.  She will have 12 weeks paid family leave when she has a child, and can take up to 6 months furlough.  She is considering part time work after she has kids, since her fiancee alone makes 6 figures.  I will help with daycare, if I'm not TOO old, LOL.

Edited to add: $975/month is barely $6/hour.  Which is a VERY good rate.  My sister and her husband worked opposite shifts, so they did not need daycare.  If your husband is in college, many of them offer low cost daycare for student's children.  If he is going to college days, then he could still watch the kids for part of the time.  No college classwork absorbs 10 hours per day, every day, unless he is in med school.  He could work nights and weekends, freeing up more daytime.  I would also suggest getting better jobs.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Daycare is expensive...

To be honest - a one year old around here is $800 a month or more at daycare typically - so your price would be really low for this area...

We knew we would need daycare though, budgeted for it and part of how our kids were spaced was based on minimizing having 2 in daycare at once.
paknari
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Ad to plan my children so that only one was on daycare at a time. We are still going to struggle when school starts because my dd is starting kindergarten and needs before school care because we start work early. When dd was born though we worked opposite shifts so that we had to pay as little daycare as possible. It sucks either way though. Can you dh do on-line school during the day so that e can be home with the kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmama423
by Liz on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I've never had any of my kids in daycare. I have 4 kids, so honestly, I couldn't even afford it if I wanted to... :/

Good luck, hope you guys figure something out!

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I had daycares that had family rates. GL that is extreme
mcknitro
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Daycare is like 550 to 600 a month. Luckily I only have 1 kiddo and make my ex pay for it. I don't get any other child support so I think that is fair. It would be hard if I had to do it on my own.
Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Yikes! Have you thought of looking into a private home daycare? Most of the time they are cheaper than other daycares. Taking a second job just to cover daycare is nuts. Maybe a close trusted friend who wouldn't mind making a few extra $$?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)