Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

And THIS is why I'm homeschooling. For real this time. Edit pg 10

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 316 Replies
8 moms liked this

Ever since I pulled ds out of school 2 years ago, I've been struggling to find ways to teach him. First we tried home choice through the school district for the rest of 1st grade. Hated it. Then we tried K12 online schooling for 2nd grade. He was miserable and so was I. The curriculum is boring and too fast paced for him. And the best part, the whole reason why I hate Public school is in the letter I got today.

Report Card

Math: Below Expectation

English: Below Expectation

Science: Below Expectation

History: Below Expectation

Art: Below Expectation

Music: Below Expectation

For the 2014-2014 school year, student is promoted to the 3rd grade.

Seriously?? He had straight Fs and he's being promoted to the next grade? No thank you. So from here on out I'm doing it old school and teaching him myself. And I'm doing away with the whole grade thing too. He'll read whatever books interest him, write whatever he wants to write and do whatever math he's good at. Science and history will whichever subject strikes his fancy at the moment. I'm throwing in the towel and doing it my way now.

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Deee6
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You know you can have a conference with the school concerning your son and his going to 3rd grade. If you do not feel he is ready than speak up. parent involvement is just as important in school as in Home school.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM

These programs are done at home. He hasn't set foot in a regular school for almost two years now. And I know I could but really I feel like it would be easier to just go with my own curiculum (or lack of one,lol)

Quoting Deee6:

You know you can have a conference with the school concerning your son and his going to 3rd grade. If you do not feel he is ready than speak up. parent involvement is just as important in school as in Home school.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

AlyssaN
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Good for you. Public/private school just isn't for everyone. Unfortunately there's just too many kids, not enough teachers or resources.
I was homeschooled K-12 and loved it.
tammeee3
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM
10 moms liked this
If you want to hone school him that is fine.. but only teaching what he wants and math that he is good at isn't really teaching him anything.hee still needs to learn what is exoected for his level...there are standards that you have to meet...it seems like you are copping out and making excuses...
kay1214
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Not true! If he's failing ar the second grade level in all subjects and he's been promoted to the third grade, has he met the standards for second grade? No. Which makes him ill-prepared for third grade, right? If he couldn't do the work satisfactorily this year, how will he ever make it next year? What will the next ten years hold for him?

There are three main learning styles. Visual, verbal (auditory), kinesthetic (touch and manipulation). Consequently, there are also three main teaching styles. The style of teaching typically depends on that person's learning style. We've all had that "fun teacher" that was real laid back and who loved to show videos all the time?  Most likely a visual learner. For those in the class who were visual learners, the class was a breeze. For someone who may have been more kinesthetic, the class was a time for napping (videos were boring). It's easier to teach the way you learn. But a kinesthetic may do great in an art class, painting, drawing, sculpting but absolutely get nothing out of a trip to a museum. Someone who is auditory may excel in music or drama. 

These styles also apply to core studies as well. Science experiments and dissections are great for kinesthetic learners. A visual learner would probably do poorly with a teacher who lectures but with a teacher who loves books that student may get straight A's. Then that same A-student may get a teacher with a different learning style the next year and struggle to get a C for the year.

look back in your mind and try to recall that teacher you "hated". Other than a personality clash, the reason you probably didn't like the teacher was because their teaching style was contrary to your learning style. Think of the teacher whose class you couldn't wait to get to every day...

And as for meeting standards, when it comes to homeschooling, the individual state determines that. Some states do not interfere with homeschoolers. Other states require testing and reports so that they can monitor the child's progress. It just depends on the state. Homeschooling is not a public school "cop out" but rather an individual, personal decision as to who is better suited to educate "my child".

Quoting tammeee3:

If you want to hone school him that is fine.. but only teaching what he wants and math that he is good at isn't really teaching him anything.hee still needs to learn what is exoected for his level...there are standards that you have to meet...it seems like you are copping out and making excuses...

sjump25
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

That sucks.  I love my kids public school.  I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Good Luck! I'm sure you will do great. Having him learn at his own pace and what he wants to learn will be fun for him :)
idunno1234
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM

School is obviously not working for your child, for whatever reason, but I'm really confused as to why your school would send you a letter at the END of the school year for an issue which is obviously very concerning and needs to be addressed, should have been addressed way back when.

What's going on?  What is his teacher saying?  Are there learning disabilities?  What a horrible thing for a kid to be suffering so early on. 

Hey, do what you have to do.  Schools are ill prepared to be able to deal with all the children and the infinite variety of shit that they bring with them these days.  I hope you find out what the deal with your son is so that learning becomes enjoyable for him. 

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM

It really isn't. My girls go and they're fine but for ds it just doesn't work.

That's great for you! I have to ask though, how did you graduate?

Quoting AlyssaN:

Good for you. Public/private school just isn't for everyone. Unfortunately there's just too many kids, not enough teachers or resources.
I was homeschooled K-12 and loved it.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this

How is it not teaching him anything? And I don't agree that he needs to learn a chunk of material at a certain time. Who says he has to know what photosynthesis in the third grade and learn about the Gold Rush in the fith? When children learn about things that are interesting to them, they retain it.

And what standards am I supossed to be meeting? As long as he's learning and growing, I'm happy.

Copping out? Lmao!

Quoting tammeee3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)