Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Encouragment for your Quirky kids.

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:29 PM
  • 6 Replies

Growing up my son had many quirks (as I like to call them). Some would dx him as OCD and High Anxiety back then. He struggled socially at times, was very sensitive and things had to be just so for him to function. The school said I needed to have him tested and treated for his problem.  Instead we just loved him and tried to help him cope with things as they came. He was very smart and put into the gifted program at school. Even in this class he would get upset if things were not perfect. A struggle for him and his teachers. Also a struggle for his parents.  Some days I could tell before sending him to school that he would not have a good day. I worried all the time.

If any of this sounds familiar I am writting this to you. As a parent I know how hard it is to be a parent of a quirky kid.

So here is the deal. By the time he hit high school he had learned to cope with things better. He had many friends. He was a Varsity Football player and Homecoming King.  My quirky son graduated at the top of his class and is now going to college to be an engineer.

Do not give up on your child no matter how hard it is. Love him/her with everything you have. Your child can and will overcome things slowly but I promise one day you will look back as think of the many ways they have grown and are now a wonderful adult. 

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I like that :)
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:57 PM

This is a great message, but I don't understand why you call him quirky.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Quoting Kmakksmom:

I like that :)

It is a good message that can help a whole lot of people.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jun. 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
As a teacher of the gifted, what you are describing is very common for gifted kids.

How wonderful for him to have had understanding parents and an appropriate school placement! Lucky kiddo! :)
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Great post!

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

As a teacher of the gifted, what you are describing is very common for gifted kids.

How wonderful for him to have had understanding parents and an appropriate school placement! Lucky kiddo! :)

Yes indeed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)