Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it okay to dye the hair of young children?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 45 Replies

My nephew is 5 and told his dad he wanted his hair to be bright blue so my brother-in-law dyed his hair bright blue.

Is that wrong?

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PINKmyfavcolor
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

WTF? Seriously, because the 5yo wanted it, he just did it? That's messed up.

PaperStar
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Non permanent dye maybe but not permanent.
jomami
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM

my daughter wants to get a keratin treatment to take the frizz out of her hair but I won't allow it.

As far as color goes, I don't even like when they spray paint stuff on her hair at parties - but that's what they like to do.

Madisonsmommy1
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Parents these days!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awesomemommy2
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM
We have spray colors (like for Halloween). They do green on St Pats. Maybe a blue for a football game.
Jebekarue
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I never did that for my kids, although I did let my son get a mohawk over the summer when he was 9.  I think if its summer time and non permanent whats the big deal.  Don't know how healthy it is from the chemical side, for their brains or lungs for that matter.  Whats the difference between the chemicals in hair color and treatments for lice, I have seen Mom's talk about the dangers of the chemicals in lice treatments and them affecting kids brains. 

Lovemyshadows
by Carol on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I wouldn't do permanent dye.  I don't see a problem with spray.  Let the kids experiment a little over the summer.

softatheart
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Im not a fan of using chemicals, we know it eventually damages the hair, so... I've seen kids get their hair dyed with food coloring effectively, but not sure of the pros and cons of that.

My kids have white blonde hair, so blue would stand out lol

newlife2013
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM
No I wouldn't damage their hair
jomami
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

The only problem with the spray during the summer is when they all want to go swimming afterwards.  My dd will go to a carnival and then ask to have her friends over for a swim.  That stuff is SO hard to get out of the pool water!

Quoting Lovemyshadows:

I wouldn't do permanent dye.  I don't see a problem with spray.  Let the kids experiment a little over the summer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)