Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

"Weddings are to make money for your future. Not to pay for peoples meals."

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Amy
  • 96 Replies
1 mom liked this

I read that statement in an article this morning about a newlywed couple who were upset that a guest gave them a picnic basket full of goodies as a wedding gift.

The couple was upset because they'd spent $100/plate on the guest and his girlfriend at the wedding dinner and felt that they should have gotten that as a return + more for their gift.

What do you think?  Would you be grateful to receive a thoughtful wedding gift or angry because you didn't "make any money" from this guest?

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
The_Doodle
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM
21 moms liked this
People like this don't seem to get what a wedding is supposed to be for. It's for celebrating love between two people and the declaration they make in front of loved ones to be with one another for their lives....not to make money or show people up. Fuck that. I would have a few choice words for someone if they reacted to a wedding gift like that from me.
Amberleigh81
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM
18 moms liked this
I thought weddings were to have family and friends celebrate the consecration of a couple's love for each other... Silly me.
redbutterfly666
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM

idc, hell i dont expect anyone to give us anything when me and df get married

bkwrmem
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM
3 moms liked this

i had a friend post about this on facebook yesterday. she thought it was insane she had just gotten married back in november and said how it meant more to her and her husband that their guest were able to make it rather than get them a gift, which was good for us we could either afford the trip to the wedding or a gift and they told us us being there was meant more to them than a gift. and i agree a wedding is where you declare your love and commitment to each other infront of people not for gifts/money (those are just an added bonus.)

KimmieLu
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM
13 moms liked this
She was dumb to spend $100 per plate. No offense to those that had fancy weddings.. but if she was looking to make profit from the gifts she received, she shouldn't have spent so much to start with. Glad I didn't marry her...
EireLass
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's rude to expect.

Marge2624
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I saw this too.  They obviously have no idea what a wedding and marriage is all about.  These two ladies have no business even being married if they don't understand you invite guests to celebrate your union not give you a bunch of money.  tsk tsk

rache71
by New Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM
3 moms liked this
You invite guests to share your joy....not make a profit. DH and I just got married this month, my favorite gift cost my parents 300$ but was priceless for me. They paid for my daughters airfare from TN. Having her by my side made my day even more special.
dingysfamily
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I have to agree with this ... minus the F part, I just don't think that's necessary - just my personal language preference. This couple should be very ashamed!!! 

Quoting The_Doodle:

People like this don't seem to get what a wedding is supposed to be for. It's for celebrating love between two people and the declaration they make in front of loved ones to be with one another for their lives....not to make money or show people up. Fuck that. I would have a few choice words for someone if they reacted to a wedding gift like that from me.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be grateful for whatever we received.  It's the thought that counts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)