Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Is obesity a disease or is it an addiction?

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Amy
  • 9 Replies

What are your thoughts?

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KimmyShaw
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Hmm, I would say an addiction.
JTROX
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Eating too much is an addiction, but addictions are also seen and treated medically as diseases, such as alcoholism.

AA2.0
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM
In majority of cases, it's neither. It's a choice.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM

There are cases in which people are obese because of medication, etc.  Then there are genetics.  Then even still others just don't seem to know when to say no to food or what kind of food is healthy enough.

So, I'd say half and half.

mom2priceboys
by Julie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM

kinfda headed more to addiction but there are other issues then oncce you get diabetis - the drugs keep you fat.

momma4vr
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM

i think its both. I think that its an addiction that turns into a disease. I am 5'2 and 288lbs. :( i am addicted to sweets and cant stop myself 90% of the time. i am now working with doctors to try and stop this.

Blakesmommy427
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

75% of the time it's a disease!  I for one was obese.  I ate less than 1,500 calories a day, most of which contained very little sugar/carbs.  I still gained.  Not all people are obese do to stuffing their faces.  Now there are some that do.  A ton of medical issues cause obesity.  It's just like everything else in life.  Unless you have been there, you have no right to judge. 

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I think it's both.

There are some who ARE addicted to eating and food and that causes obesity.  It becomes a battle of wills for them.  There are others who have medical reasons for their obesity.  I've seen both ends of it in people and regardless, it's a struggle for them to lose weight because losing weight is both a physical and mental task.

bottomline
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I would love to know the actual answer to this question. I feel it's some of both but without the research I don't know the actual statistics. And then a breakdown by country would be very enlightening.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)