Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Rattlesnakes

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 10 Replies
We always have a bit of a snake problem out here, generally out at the barn and near the motors and sprinkler pivots, but last night just took the cake. We got home from my mother-in-laws and brought my son inside and got the dogs food and water bowl filled in their room to get ready to bring them in for the night, and my husband starts calling for me out front and banging on the window.

I thought nothing of it and open the front door and ask why in the world he couldn't walk the 4 steps from the window to the door instead if banging on it and he yells close the door and get the .22! So get the gun and poke it out- of course there's no ammo in it, so I go get that too, and pass it to him using a shovel- what a sight I'm sure we would've been to someone standing there...

And he proceeds to shoot this rattlesnake that was 2 feet from the front door! I walked right past it with my son a minute or two before, didn't even think about it, and my husband almost stepped right on it coming through the yard moving the yard sprinkler. Typically I turn the water off before bed and it was right in the place I step off the cement to walk to the spigot.

But that's not all. Because clearly THAT would be too easy a night on us. The dogs had been playing in the front yard in the sprinkler with my husband as he was moving it. Lucy, our Daniff puppy, was barking and my husband assumed it was at a frog before he saw the snake. Well Freddy, our boxer, ran around the back after my husband called for the gun and I let him in, and Lucy left the front yard as well. After dh killed the snake I went and called for her.

Nothing. So dh went to give our son a bath while I went out to look for her and found her laying in the backyard near the dog house so I called and she wouldn't come. I walked over and couldn't see well and picked her up and brought her in and how great- she was bitten by the snake.

How she avoided getting bitten on the muzzle is beyond me, but it connected with her hind leg and started to swell. Luckily I gave her and Freddy both their rattlesnake vaccines 2 weeks ago, but good grief. So I dosed her for the bite, I have everything here needed because some of the cattle meds are used to treat a snake bite in a dog, and gave her rimadyl for the pain. Today there's still swelling but she is feeling better and it's weight bearing.

Seriously getting tired of the snakes out here. Vent done.
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dibsy
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Funny thing- I just had my vet come out and take a look at Lucy and he said "Thats not as bad as I figured it would be. What'd you give her when you brought her in?" And I said "Just the regular tx, what we always gave." He said "well for a leg bite it looks a lot better than it ought to, especially since you said she was doing really poor last night. Lethargic, not eating/drinking." She was wagging her tail and putting weight on it today.

Well, last night after I fed my son and put him to bed I hand expressed breast milk and put it on the bite area. Don't know if that's why it looked better than it should or not but if so these boobies are magic.
destiny83
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Holy cow, I see how that has you stressed! At least you were and are prepared. The first thing that came to my mind is that I'd consider buiding a patio with brick walls for the dogs and kids to play in during snake season. Well GL.

sjump25
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM

OMGosh how scary!

Mizz_Sassyfrass
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I am so glad we dont have rattlers here in my part of Oregon. But where i am originally from we have not only rattlers but cotton mouths and scorpions as well.
Dibsy
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM
They can climb up just about anything. We've had them drop out of the ceiling in the barn, which is corrugated steel, drop out of the tree in the front yard, and had two on top of a friend of mines brick house, just hanging out on the roof during the fall, I'm supposing looking for warmth. Typically the rattlers stay away from the house and we just get bull snakes and garter snakes near the house but about 3 years ago every one of our dogs at the time got bit. Hopefully now that we have more barn cats they'll keep them more at bay- cats don't really react to rattlesnake bites.

Quoting destiny83:

Holy cow, I see how that has you stressed! At least you were and are prepared. The first thing that came to my mind is that I'd consider buiding a patio with brick walls for the dogs and kids to play in during snake season. Well GL.

Dibsy
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Scorpions make my skin crawl! I'm so glad we don't have that problem out here! I'd probably have a heart attack.

Quoting Mizz_Sassyfrass:

I am so glad we dont have rattlers here in my part of Oregon. But where i am originally from we have not only rattlers but cotton mouths and scorpions as well.
Dibsy
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Also, update on Lucy- almost all the swelling went down yesterday and she was running and playing as usual. For a rattlesnake bite it usually takes 4-5 days of treatment for it to return to normal and I'm thinking the breast milk helped a lot. My vet said it was the damnedest thing he'd ever seen. Never told him what I did...thought telling my former boss something like that'd be a tad awkward...
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM
That is scary! Glad Lucy is okay, and what an interesting thing to use on a bite. If that is what healed her, we should bottle that and sell it as pain relief. *in general, not just yours, lol* ;)
Dibsy
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Hahaha I could just see a whole production line here at my house! I had just heard of a bunch of things that breast milk helped with- rashes, eye infections, burns, all sorts of things and I thought why not? It sure couldn't hurt. You'd never know she was but now except for some redness between her toes.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

That is scary! Glad Lucy is okay, and what an interesting thing to use on a bite. If that is what healed her, we should bottle that and sell it as pain relief. *in general, not just yours, lol* ;)
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I have always had this irrational fear of poisonous snakes, not sure why because we don't have them here. How scary
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN