Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I wonder why this is... What are your thoughts?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Amy
  • 14 Replies

I just read that black and Hispanic children are half as likely to be diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as their white peers, according to a new study that followed U.S. kindergarteners through middle school.

I really do wonder why this is.  Is it due to underdiagnosis?  Is it just that children of color are less likely, for some reason, to have the condition?  

What are your thoughts?  Do you have a child with ADD/ADHD?

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bottomline
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM

That is a curious statistic? I would like to know more about why that is. Is it like you said just under diagnosed or is there an actual genetic cursor that explains it?

Sweetmomoffive
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Interesting! Thats a good question.

sjump25
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Hmmm... interesting.  I wonder why that is as well.

destiny83
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

hmmm. Unfortunately I think it has to do with the poverty index. Undiagnosed. Whites-over diagnosed.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I know in my (white) family if a child seems out of the ordinary they go to a doctor. But a child that consistently acts out or doesn't pay attention would just be hit in my husband's family. He's Puerto Rican. It's a cultural thing, I guess. White people are more likely to take their child to different doctors to fix the problem and Hispanics are more likely to just scold and punish them. It isn't a one size fits all rule, just a generalization. I would assume the same for black people, but I wouldn't really know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
destiny83
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Not to take this post in a different direction, but I think this may be the reason for blacks(especially) having higher crime rate statistics- not diagnosed thus not given proper professional attention.

coronado25
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM
"awareness" and people's attitudes toward whatever the media focus of the awareness issue is and health care and access to it or lack there of are the drivers of medical evaluations for said issues. Diagnosis rates for conditions increase dramatically after "awareness" campaigns for conditions. Hand in hand, then, crappy journalism makes a sensationalized fuss about the diagnostic rate...as if it is actually a statistic that holds more than just socio/economic value.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coronado25
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM
What would be more telling are real numbers on evaluation. If at an urban clinic100 white children are brought in for evaluation and 10 are diagnosed with adhd versus 10 black children brought in for evaluation and 2 of those children diagnosed with adhd the media would have a headline reading "percentage of black children in urbania with adhd is double that of white children according to urban clinic statistics" HILARIOUS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kay1214
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming there are not many Blacks or Hispanics involved in this forum.  Otherwise the powder keg that was lit with the statements above would have exploded by now. This subject has the potential to be extremely volatile.  Having said all of that, and trying to not put any ethnic group in a box, I think it is the way we are raised, from generations back, to care for our children and whatever needs they have that determines the level of care and attention they receive. My dad was a country boy growing up. Family took care of almost all medical needs with home remedies. So, even though my dad left the country life and spent more than 20 years in the Army, travelled the world and settled us in the city, if I got a cut, we cared for it at home. I'm not talking about a scrape but one that bled profusely and certainly would have received stitches if I had gone to the ER. My Grandma put "cow salve" on sores and bug bites we had. When I was 6 and had Rheumatic Fever and was unable to walk, my Mom wrapped my legs in ace bandages to make the swelling go down and stabilize me so I could try to walk. After being extremely ill for many days I was taken to the hospital and even then only at the prompting of another person. 

Possibly, in some ethnic cultures, children's needs are considered to be of less iimportance than say, the head of the house? Just something to think about.

Flobrooks
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:47 AM

I think it is over  diagnosis in whites.   There  is no virus that caused ADHD, it is diagnosed by parents and teachers to begin with.  With more whites having two parents, thus better incomes, they are more likely to take little misbehaving junior to the doctor who will willingly write a prescription for something to keep them happy.  It is all  part of the "nothing is my responsibility" syndrome that is so prevelant in today's society.  Wait til these kids get older, our society is on a silppery slope of laziness, poor me, and not my fault.  I do some volunteer work with a soup kitchen and with the Red cross.  The folks in their 60's, 70's, 80's and even a 93 yearold get to every meeting, can do the physical work, clean ups etc. The 40 and 30 year olds rarely show up, can't do half the stuff, spend lots of time applying for unemployment and disability due to vague backaches, leg aches, knee pain, hip pain, all headaches are "migranes", arthritis has graduated to fibromyalgia, have adult ADHD and are all bipolar.  They take numerous medications to kill pain, wake up, go to sleep, loose weight, grow hair. And these are the folks raising today's children that can not play on a swing set with our a rubber mat, can not play on jungle gyms, might get a splinter, can not run, might fall and skin knee and have to have an RN at the school to didpense all of the prescription drugs and bandage paper cuts

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)