Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Foods Banned In Other Countries

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you allow your family to eat pre-packaged foods that were banned in other countries because they contained questionable ingredients?

Options:

Yes

No

It depends

I really don't care

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

Yahoo, of all places, has a very interesting article that I thought I would include the link to. In thier investigation, they estimate that 80% of pre-packaged foods that are sold in America are banned in other countries.

The claim is that other countries recognize certain chemicals as harmful and therefore will not allow them in the foods that they sell. Why does America allow these chemicals in our foods? And why do we eat them up as if they won't harm us?

To read the article for yourself, Click here.

Sometimes the devil doesn't tempt us with evil; sometimes he allures us with good, distracts us with obligations, confuses us with compromise, or hinders us with business to keep us from that which is best- service to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Remember, the devil always offers his best, before Christ will offer His will for your life.

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
arthistmom
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM

It's not just harmful chemicals that the EU bans but also ingredients made from GMO products. I read an article recently that General Mills sells non-GMOs Cheerios abroad (because the EU won't allow GMOs) but the company is fine with allowing US citizens to consume their GMO-filled products.

Quote:

The claim is that other countries recognize certain chemicals as harmful and therefore will not allow them in the foods that they sell. 

JCPenny
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I try to avoid any artificial ingredients (colors, preservatives, etc) as well as GMO products because I find I react to them. I wish they would just make one type and sell it everywhere!

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I have a strong feeling there are much more GMO's in my kitchen than I know about.

Obviously I want to avoid them, but from what I hear they are often hidden - and nearly everywhere... :(
la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I try to avoid them as much as possible. However, there are just so many questionable things in our foods today. There will be something I think is perfectly fine and then I will find out that it's really not.

STVUstudent
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

It is absolutely insane... much of the stuff you canot buy overseas is marketed here specifically for our children... Kraft- the macaroni and cheese dinner you buy here is laced with artificial dyes... the version sold in EU countries has no artificial colors...  The FDA has been bought out by corporations who are paying for the right to lace foods with toxic chemicals  I mean flavor and appearance enhancers...  belly on up to the bar and get yourself a big old bowl of red, blue and yellow dye, a tar and petroleum by-product...

Why do they do it?  Because they can... and because we as the American people buy it without batting an eye... marketing has convinced our children that they will die if they don't get froot loops, and decades ago comercials convinced a generation of consumers that pop tarts and hi-C "fruit" drink were essentail parts of a healthy breakfast...

JCPenny
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

It's really scary! I decided a long time ago that we were going to eat as naturally as possible. That was tough! Just doing oatmeal for breakfast is time consuming. Not to mention making soups and stocks and homemade dinners. I've learned a few time saving tricks since then, but still! I guess we have to choose convenience with all the junk or taking our time to make sure it's healthy.

arthistmom
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM
2 moms liked this
GMOs lurk in everything we eat. But if they're not labeled, we would not know. As a consumer I'd like to be able to make the decision whether or not to buy GMO-filled foods for my family. But the food corps are reluctant to label because they say it costs too much. God forbid if anything should cut into their bottom line. However, there are a few food companies who are more vigilant about not using GMOs and labeling. Maybe we should wield our buying power as consumers and patronize these companies exclusively. I'll dig up the list my friend found and share it here.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I have a strong feeling there are much more GMO's in my kitchen than I know about.

Obviously I want to avoid them, but from what I hear they are often hidden - and nearly everywhere... :(

Momof697
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I think it has to do with money. The foods that are banned in other countries eventually make us sick enough to need prescriptions. Those prescriptions has side effects that lend us to needing more prescriptions.  I don't know just my opinion.   Example  Aluminum it is in baking powder and deodorant. It causes Alzheimer's which you eventually need drugs for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN