Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

The stink

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM
  • 22 Replies
Has anyone ever had bath towels that stink no matter what you do with them? I have tried everything and my bath towels always still stink, even after I wash them.I tried hot water, liquid fabric softener, soda, vinegar, washer cleaner, and different soaps and I just can't stand the smell of them as you are trying to dry yourself off after a shower. These are fairly new towels, but also cheaper ones and I am wondering if it is the dye in them. Any suggestions? Maybe just buy new towels - - (not cheap ones)

Kathie  pink ribbon

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Never.A.Mom
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Do you dry them inside or out?

My towels usually stink when I hang them inside, so I air them for a while and they don't have that smell.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Is it a chemical smell or a musty/mildew type smell?
disnchntdwife
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

do you have a front load washer? If not have you smelled anything unusual in your washer? You may have moldy parts in the rubber and seals of your machine.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I hate that smell.  You may need to wash them twice or do a second rinse, use super hot water to kill anything that might be causing the smell.  You might also need to wash your washer out (run it through a cycle empty) just to clean it.  I'm surprised that the vinegar hasn't helped.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Yes and I too have tried EVERYTHING. My bed sheets do that too.  It is annoying........I can't get fresh towels and sheets either.........unless I use them immediately after coming out of the dryer. That isn't so practical.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM
yep. We've ended up buying new towels because of the smell.
kdgord
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM
We wash our towels with a little bit of bleach(like 1/4 cup) every couple of washes and it keeps the smell away.
kmty2010
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:19 PM
mildew smell
Lovemyshadows
by Carol on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Hydrogen peroxide in the wash.  

tasho
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM

i have a heated towel rack i think that does not make them smell

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN