Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question for the American ladies.

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM
  • 25 Replies

In a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich... what is the jelly? can someone explain to me what the jelly is? because In Australia jelly is what you guys call Jello.

Is it made of fruit? because here we call that jam and thats what i use with peanut butter but I just want to know once and for all what americans use when they use "jelly"

Thank you! X

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kristen.Marie
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
It's jam
Greenenvy
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Our jelly is your jam. My family has always called it jam or preserves actually but most Americans call it jelly.
PeaceLoveAndTea
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

It's made of fruit. I prefer jam, but my son likes jelly.

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

It's jam.  Here it's called jelly or jam or preserves - they are all pretty interchangeable for most.

sjump25
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

yep

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

It's jam.  Here it's called jelly or jam or preserves - they are all pretty interchangeable for most.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Im not American but its jam, her ein Canada its called jelly or jam, just depends on how you grew up with it being called. Like grape jelly "jam" etc....

MamaRae85
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Jelly is actually gross to me. IF WE'RE LUCKY, it's flavored with fruit juice, but it's still a lot like thin, stirred up Jello. Jam is made with the fruit pulp or crushed fruit with pectin. Preserves is usually jam with chunks of real fruit in it. Jelly is barely food. lol

They are all for spreading on PB&J.

We usually call {what you would call jelly} Jello, but sometimes also just "flavored gelatin".

MamaRae85
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Also, most Americans use the three terms interchangeably. Usually "jelly" is the catch-all term for any fruit spread.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Yep yep

Quoting sjump25:

MamaSarah1104
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Jelly is like jam, but jam will have actually pieces of fruit or seeds in it whereas jelly is just made of fruit juice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)