Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Spin off - breastfeeding and smoking marijuana...?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:59 AM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: Which is healthier for baby- the breastmilk of a pot-smoking mom or formula?

Options:

Breastmilk

Formula

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

I'm not someone who takes pills if it can be avoided at all, drinks alcohol, or smokes anything while breastfeeding but I would still choose the breastmilk of a pot smoker over formula any day. Breastmilk is a living  food full of antibodies and safe for the open gut. In another post, someone listed smoking pot while breastfeeding as a take your child  away offense. Is there any data on what enters breastmilk and in what amounts / how it affects baby with marijuana like there is with alcohol? Whats your opinion?

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
butterflyk1ssez
by New Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:14 AM

there was a study of mothers who smoked pot in Jamaica and during their breastfeeding years and there was evidence there was hardly any thc transfer but kellymom.com has articles saying there is a higher transfer rate than the Jamaica study said.

there isn't enough evidence or enough studies to prove if it would be healthier or not healty at this point for me to make a decision.

i can't vote =/

Bellarose0212
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Interesting

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

there was a study of mothers who smoked pot in Jamaica and during their breastfeeding years and there was evidence there was hardly any thc transfer but kellymom.com has articles saying there is a higher transfer rate than the Jamaica study said.

there isn't enough evidence or enough studies to prove if it would be healthier or not healty at this point for me to make a decision.

i can't vote =/

est

zetajen
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM

to me, smoking pot while BF seems dangerous for baby. I have done no research on the topic, but I think my snap judgment would be pretty common. So if mom had done no research and choose to get high and later bf, I think she made a selfish choice and is not looking out for the best interest of her child. How hard is it to give up a few things for your child?

and depending on where she lives, the fact that she is smoking pot can infer connections to a criminal element. Also not a great quality in a mother.

rosewind13
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I was told by my CLC when DD was born that very little of what we take in actually transfers to our breastmilk. The body is very specific, according to what she told me. I actually have a book about breastfeeding... when I get a minute here at some point I will look and see if it says anything about it.

jamamama00
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I don't think marijuana is dangerous at all. It isn't like the baby is going to get stoned and eat a bunch of Doritos. I think it's pretty clear that the transfer of toxins into breastmilk is very minimal. Pot smokers gross me out in general, but taking a child away for it? Nay. Having said that, I think the alleged benefits of breastmilk are greatly exaggerated as well....
fivegirls333
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

it is amazing how God protects our little ones.  i would be more worried that the baby is getting the second hand high in the house.  happy baby?...grin.  breast milk...always best.

marihla
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I don't really see an issue with that. I don't smoke pot; just never had a problem with it.

marihla
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

What about women who use medicinal marijuana, even throughout the pregnancy, because the (miniscule risk of) effect on the baby will be less than the effect of a prescription medication?

Quoting zetajen:

to me, smoking pot while BF seems dangerous for baby. I have done no research on the topic, but I think my snap judgment would be pretty common. So if mom had done no research and choose to get high and later bf, I think she made a selfish choice and is not looking out for the best interest of her child. How hard is it to give up a few things for your child?

and depending on where she lives, the fact that she is smoking pot can infer connections to a criminal element. Also not a great quality in a mother.

xxshelbyxxx
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Hell yeah I'm glad to see the higher vote was for breast milk ! I thought it'd be the opposite from crazy moms on here. There IS studies PROVING that marijuana in breast milk doesn't negatively effect babies or toddlers. I read a two page article about Queen Elizabeth and how she smoked her entire pregnancy AND during the entire time she was breast feeding because of a sickness she had post partym. ALL her sons grew up to be masters of their trade, very intelligent Successful people. I can't quote anyone on exact facts but I was a every day smoker until my third trimester and I've read a lot about weed and I'm a active medicinal marijuana advocate, and can honestly say there's millions of women who smoke during breast feeding and there ain't a damn thing wrong their milk. It's STILL 100% better than formula.

Quoting Bellarose0212:

I'm not someone who takes pills if it can be avoided at all, drinks alcohol, or smokes anything while breastfeeding but I would still choose the breastmilk of a pot smoker over formula any day. Breastmilk is a living  food full of antibodies and safe for the open gut. In another post, someone listed smoking pot while breastfeeding as a take your child  away offense. Is there any data on what enters breastmilk and in what amounts / how it affects baby with marijuana like there is with alcohol? Whats your opinion?

xxshelbyxxx
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Very very very very VERY good point. See that's the thing most people don't understand is that medical marijuana is prescribed every single day, in states where it's decriminalized, for women who are pregnant AND women who are breast feeding! Medicinal weed is a LIFE SAVER for some nursing moms because they have ailments that can't be treated with the typical RX meds because they get into breast milk, so docs prescribe marijuana because its got MINIMAL effects. Sleepiness (very very rare effect) of a baby every so often as compared to nursing mom suffering day after day cuz she can't take any meds to help her illness, is a WAY better option IMO.

Stigma. Sucks. WHY DOESnt everyone understand that marijuana wouldn't be prescribed in 16 states if it wasn't STUDIED, researched and proven effective!! Just like every other prescribed medication, it goes through the process of getting approved for treating illnesses, yet society is ok with over 64% of Americans population being prescribed some type of Pharma drug that comes along with 100s of Negative side effects including OVERDOSE, but marijuana can't be overdosed on! Grrrrr

Quoting marihla:

What about women who use medicinal marijuana, even throughout the pregnancy, because the (miniscule risk of) effect on the baby will be less than the effect of a prescription medication?

Quoting zetajen:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN