Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Rant-religious customs

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 48 Replies
I can not take religion seriously. Fast all you like, get on your knees, wear special clothes, eat special foods, eat everything but some foods, cut off your foreskin, put fruits in front of statues, wear only orange, marry your god and live in a building with his other wives, repeat mantras, string cloths on a line, count beads and chant, never dance, perform dances for your god, make Saturday night special, make Sunday special, make a whole month special, eat crackers and juice and believe you are eating your god, eat crackers and juice to symbolize eating your god, light a bunch of candles and wear a funny cap, let your mind go crazy and nonsense words spill out of your mouth till you siezure on the floor, put your money in the tin plate passed around, go into a weird closet and tell the things you are ashamed to a man you call father but who is not your father at all, tell people they must be born twice, tell people that dying is really living, burn some incense on a stick in front of a statue, smolder some incence on a ball on a pendulum and swing it over crowds of people mumbling the same words together, yada yada yada
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JesusMySavior
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM
4 moms liked this
Not bashing you or anything but if you cant take religion seriously or understand it, then I wouldnt be on here putting all of them down and talking about them this way. Not everyone will agree with my faith as a Christian but I would expect them to respect it as I would theirs whether I understand it or not.
coronado25
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I disagree. YOU deserve respect. Your habits and customs, religious or otherwise, DO NOT necessitate respect. They may gain respect from some and be the subject of ridicule and scorn from others.
coronado25
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Believers in god/s often have some line of saying in their faith that is meant to show the love they have for fellow human beings who do not believe their god exists or who believe in their god but are doing it wrong. These sayings run along the lines of " Love the sinner, hate the sin". So, it should be easy for believers in god/s to understand my own viewpoint which is "Love the believer, hate the belief." For example, you are a wonderful charible human with a great sense of humor...so I love you. But every day at a particular time you bow prostrate facing a particular direction because you believe your god exists and that this pleases him/her...so I hate the belief.
calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Well I definately dont do all those things but I am a Christian and I am very happy to be one. We have a happy home,great marriage,great fellowship at church. You might not understand why we fast or dress differently or dont do certain things but we are very content living this way. I find peace and comfort praying to a God I cannot see. Even though I cant see him, I can feel him and that is enough for me. When I was in my darkest hours hes always been there to comfort me. You cant understand because you dont believe,which is the first step to understanding. I would never want to live without God in my life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dibsy
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM
It's not really anyone's place to take it seriously or not. People don't have religious views to please anyone but themselves and their respective gods. To show disdain for other people's religious views is an affront to them, because religion is a part of them. Whether you like it or not doesn't really give you license to bash them for it or make fun of them for it. If you can't be nice about it then don't put yourself in a position to talk about it. If you don't like it don't participate in the customs. You don't have to vocalize how you think it's ridiculous. That's just in poor taste.
coronado25
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Why not do all those things anyway. Why do it for your diety?

Quoting calimom1123:

Well I definately dont do all those things but I am a Christian and I am very happy to be one. We have a happy home,great marriage,great fellowship at church. You might not understand why we fast or dress differently or dont do certain things but we are very content living this way. I find peace and comfort praying to a God I cannot see. Even though I cant see him, I can feel him and that is enough for me. When I was in my darkest hours hes always been there to comfort me. You cant understand because you dont believe,which is the first step to understanding. I would never want to live without God in my life.

calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Because I follow what the Bible says to do. If it doesnt say it,I dont do it.

Quoting coronado25:

Why not do all those things anyway. Why do it for your diety?

Quoting calimom1123:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
What a sad perspective on what others believe. Just because you are jaded doesn't mean any religion makes anything up. People have been praying to a god/s since the beginning of recorded history. So if billions of people have been doing it for millions of years that doesn't make the believers the odd one out. Quite the opposite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Why post this hateful crap? Trolls gonna troll i guess.
SerenityBerry
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Beleif in a Diety is to believe in something greater and more powerful than oneself, it is a humbling force that humanity needs at times, it keeps our ego in check and it can be conforting when faced with things beyond your control to believe there is something greater than yourself and that you are not facing chaos on your own. 

It is fine if you don't feel a need for it or don't understand it, but at least attempt to recognize that it is something that other people psychologically need and that it is beneficial to other people even if it is not so for you. It is poor manners to ridicule something simply because you lack an understanding of it and that sort of behavior cultivates ignorance. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN