Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Reality TV Star And Eldest Son Of “19 Kids And Counting” To Lead Anti-Gay Hate Group

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM
  • 6 Replies

Josh Duggar, the eldest son of TLC’s “19 Kids And Counting” is moving to Washington, D.C. to head the political action arm of Tony Perkins’ anti-gay hate group, FRC Action. The Family Research Council is listed by the Southern Poverty Law Center as an anti-gay hate group. The eldest Duggar sibling and his wife, Anna, just celebrated the birth of their third child.

Teasing the announcement, Perkins said, ”We want to congratulate Josh and Anna Duggar on the birth of Marcus. They have been an inspiration to millions of Americans who regularly tune in to see the Duggar family’s show. All of us at Family Research Council have long appreciated their devotion to the pro-family movement.”

Josh Duggar talked about the possibility back in March. ”Josh confirmed that he will be working with a Christian organization to help promote ‘family values and right to life.’”

GLAAD weighed in yesterday:

Duggar said that he will be working on the 501c4 side of the organization, which is more politically driven. He can’t even claim he’s just going to shape the culture.

Now that Josh Duggar has accepted a position at such an anti-gay organization, he has become a full-fledged anti-gay activist. What does this mean for TLC’s 19 Kids and Counting? Will TLC allow it to become a mainstream outlet for FRC’s dangerous message? What about the Duggar family’s appearances in other media? Will his work with one of the most vile anti-gay organizations in America be legitimized there?

“If Josh Duggar wants to make a living dehumanizing and denigrating LGBT people and their families, that’s his business, but FRC’s lies and stereotypes need to be treated as such,” said GLAAD Spokesperson Wilson Cruz. “Josh’s new boss Tony Perkins has actually accused LGBT equality advocates of being pawns of the devil.  Fans of his family’s reality show ought to know that.”

Josh Duggar is clearly enamored with the Tea Party and the rabidly anti-gay right. A quick glance through his Facebook photos shows him arm in arm with Republican extremists Rick Santorum and Rand Paul.

duggar

Jeremy Hooper at Good As You adds:

But don’t even try, TLC network, to position Josh’s story as something that should warm the fires within my own heart and home. That ship has sailed. This TLC star is going to be paid to spearhead a quest that seeks to diminish, if not completely extinguish, all that I hold dear within my own marriage, family, and home. Forget carefully edited reality TV—for me and millions of others, this crap just got really real. For real.

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish I was more surprised -but I'm not.

calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this
They are entitled to their beliefs. Why is it considered a "hate group". Are they taking gays and beating them in the streets? ... I didnt think so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sjump25
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep...

Quoting Kris_PBG:

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

sad

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I must have missed where the article or myself said they had no right to their beliefs.

I simply said I wasn't surprised this is his way of thinking. I do find it sad - but he has every right to think this way, obviously.

Do you think the only way to be a hate group is to beat people in the streets? As for why the group is a hate group is not hard to track down.

Here is an excerpt for you:
Media Inquiries
SPLC in the News
Donate
By Richard Cohen
On Aug. 15, a man walked into the D.C. office of the Family Research Council (FRC) and shot the building manager in the arm before he was subdued and taken into custody.

At a news conference the next day, FRC President Tony Perkins claimed that the SPLC had encouraged the attack by listing his organization as a hate group. The attacker, Perkins said, “was given a license to shoot an unarmed man by organizations like the Southern Poverty Law Center.”

Now, we don’t like being in the position of criticizing the FRC while its courageous building manager is recovering from his wounds. But it’s important that we set the record straight and focus on what’s truly at stake.

Contrary to what the FRC has repeatedly claimed, we do not list the FRC as a hate group because of its opposition to gay marriage or because of its religious beliefs. Instead, we list the FRC because it engages in baseless, incendiary name-calling and spreads demonizing lies about the LGBT community.

The FRC portrays gay people as sick, evil, perverted, incestuous and a danger to the nation. It insists that gay people are “fundamentally incapable” of providing good homes for children – a myth that has been rejected by all relevant scientific authorities. One of its key leaders has actually said that homosexual behavior should be criminalized.

Perhaps the FRC’s most dangerous lie is its claim that pedophilia is a “homosexual problem,” to use Perkins’ words. Here’s what the American Psychological Association says: “Despite a common myth, homosexual men are not more likely to sexually abuse children than heterosexual men are.” The APA adds, “There is no scientific support for fears about children of lesbian or gay parents being sexually abused by their parents or their parents’ gay, lesbian or bisexual friends or acquaintances.”

Linking the LGBT community to pedophilia is not an expression of a religious belief, as Perkins would have it. It’s simply a lie – and a particularly ugly one at that. Constantly portraying gay people as sick, evil, perverted, incestuous and a danger to the nation simply adds fuel to the fire.

And it’s a fire that is raging in our country.

As the FBI hate crime data shows, the LGBT community – the community that the FRC constantly vilifies – is, by far, the minority group most targeted for violent hate crimes. And the FBI statistics don’t even take into account the epidemic of anti-LGBT bullying in our schools – an epidemic that has led to suicides.

And what, by the way, does Perkins say about the “It Gets Better” campaign, an initiative designed to give LGBT students hope for a better tomorrow? “It’s disgusting,” according to Perkins, all part of a “concerted effort” to “recruit” children into the gay “lifestyle.”

And Perkins has the temerity to call groups like ours “hateful” and “vile?” Talk about “disgusting.”

As people who care about human dignity, we have a moral obligation to call out the FRC for its demonizing lies and incendiary rhetoric about the LGBT community. The fact that we list the FRC as a hate group because of its demonizing propaganda does not make us the hateful one. Spreading demonizing lies is what is dangerous, not exposing them.

The FRC richly deserves the “hate group” label.

Quoting calimom1123:

They are entitled to their beliefs. Why is it considered a "hate group". Are they taking gays and beating them in the streets? ... I didnt think so.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:01 AM
I agree.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN