Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Need some advice of career choice

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm a dental assistant and I, not sure that I want to do this forever.  I was thinking a vet tech or nurse. Maybe go into sonography or radiology. Do any mom have any experience doing any of these? Or any kind of advice?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
fifi379
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I understand that ,I'm a dental assistant too.but i'm so confused,the hours are so bad i need a career change but i don't know which career to go,and it must be online too because,i am now a stay home Mom.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM
you must not work at my dentists office. i swear that office keeps bankers hours and three martini lunch hours.

Quoting fifi379:

I understand that ,I'm a dental assistant too.but i'm so confused,the hours are so bad i need a career change but i don't know which career to go,and it must be online too because,i am now a stay home Mom.

sabrtooth1
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Vet tech pays less than a dental asst.  Nursing( RN only), med tech, rad tech, pharm tech, and phys therapy asst are all taught at community colleges, pay is ok, and the jobs usually have benefits. 

NO decent career is taught entirely on line. NO FOR PROFIT SCHOOL IS WORTHWHILE.  Do NOT expect to fall into a job.  Salaries are dropping, and hours are increasing everywhere. 

If you are thinking of nursing, get a CNA first.  The hours and pay are crap, but that is the ONLY way you will ever get a foot in the door for a nursing job, after you finish school.  BSN's are worth more than RN's, but unless you are 17 going straight into college, get your CNA, and then your RN, both at the CC.  Get a job, and hopefully your employer will help pay for the university to get your BSN.  Even if they don't, you'll make reasonable money as an RN .

MWood18
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I was a pharmacy tech for years...pay is awful. I heard vet techs make a bearly livable wage as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN