Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Opinions on furniture updo :)

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: What should I do with this desk?

Options:

Strip and paint

Strip and stain

Leave as is

Other...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 19

View Results

I bought this desk for $30. It's small. Like 40w x 35h approximately. It's in bad condition. The finish is very scratched and the top is splintered in the corner. But the detail around the top is beautiful as well as the carved wooden knobs.

I'm thinking about turning it into a tv stand! LOL For our living area. My original thought was to paint it. But the shabby distressed finish is kind of growing on me. What do you all think?

Most of the drawers work but two of them are busted. I was thinking I would just glue them shut. And then put some glass over the top... Maybe glass in the middle part with a shelf for foilage or decor?

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM
If it's from the 40s I would strip and stain it. :-)
sabrtooth1
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM

This is not my taste, and is very damaged, but if you like it, then you haven't wasted money.  Be aware tho, that the right side of the desk, as you face it, is canted inward, and doesn't sit square on the floor.

sjump25
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Strip it and stain it

SecularMomma
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Hmmm...I think I see what you are talking about... But it sits squarely on the floor and is very sturdy. It might just be an illusion from the pic? Dunno.

So you don't like victorian style furniture? Once it's fixed up it should look great I think.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

This is not my taste, and is very damaged, but if you like it, then you haven't wasted money.  Be aware tho, that the right side of the desk, as you face it, is canted inward, and doesn't sit square on the floor.

sabrtooth1
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Quoting SecularMomma:

So you don't like victorian style furniture? Once it's fixed up it should look great I think.

This is not Victorian.  This is late 40's, early 50's, mass produced.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnewspapers%3Fnid%3D2229%26dat%3D19540502%26id%3DOl4mAAAAIBAJ%26sjid%3DsgAGAAAAIBAJ%26pg%3D2625%2C990576&ei=DbbcUaDEBcP0yQGQm4HICg&usg=AFQjCNGrN64gsEWZdav2spArjon7Np9_Sw&bvm=bv.48705608,d.aWc&cad=rja

SecularMomma
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Oh I see. Well that was helpful and I figured as much. But it is still victorian style pedestal desk. LOL

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Quoting SecularMomma:

This is not Victorian.  This is late 40's, early 50's, mass produced.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnewspapers%3Fnid%3D2229%26dat%3D19540502%26id%3DOl4mAAAAIBAJ%26sjid%3DsgAGAAAAIBAJ%26pg%3D2625%2C990576&ei=DbbcUaDEBcP0yQGQm4HICg&usg=AFQjCNGrN64gsEWZdav2spArjon7Np9_Sw&bvm=bv.48705608,d.aWc&cad=rja

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Strip that baby and stain it! :)

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I would strip and stain.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Quoting sabrtooth1:

It is not mine either.

esox
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I think it looks awesome! I like the idea for a shelf underneath

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN