Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Animal hoarding.... I wish I understood.

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Amy
  • 14 Replies

I wish I knew what possessed someone to hoard over 100 animals in their home.

More than 120 dogs were removed from a home here in Colorado yesterday

I understand being an animal lover and wanting to save them all, but... I don't understand how someone would take on that many animals when they can't take care of them.

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yryssa1
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I don't understand it either. These people really think they are helping the animals but in turn they are doing more harm than good.

I watched a Hoarders episode where this lady had a plethora of cats. It was to the point the cats ruled the roost and defecated anywhere they pleased. There was piles of it. She would even preserve some of her dead cats in her fridge! She also would pick up dead animals in her yard and stick them in her fridge. Disturbing! I love animals and that's why I try not to own too many, so they can get attention and be well cared for
LivinDeadGurl
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I don't get it either. 

arthistmom
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Hoarding (of animals, things, etc.) goes beyond mere affection or affinity for an item and has entered the realm of mental disorder. It's likely a symptom of OCD and needs psychiatric intervention to overcome.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Oh, I understand that it's an illness. I just don't understand how it's allowed to go on so long until it's to this point. 

Quoting arthistmom:

Hoarding (of animals, things, etc.) goes beyond mere affection or affinity for an item and has entered the realm of mental disorder. It's likely a symptom of OCD and needs psychiatric intervention to overcome.

sjump25
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Me either, but it usually happens when someone is suffering from a mental illness :/

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM

well they wouldn't have the show "animal hoarders" without actual animal hoarders.  That's why animal hoarders are like that so they can be on that show "animal hoarders"  lol JK

I don't get it either but it is a mental disorder and also OCD.

alc4evermom
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I hate how people always blame mental illness for everything. Its called being irresponsible. 

Quoting arthistmom:

Jscott1216
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM
My diesel that we just adopted came from a hoarding situation. They showed me pictures. It just makes me so sad to think about it. He's only a yr but he had no baby puppy love cause there were too many of them. :( but he's loved and sued with and cared for now. This is the second time our local rescue has had to take animals from these people.
Jscott1216
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Mobile Photo

Diesel is the black shepherd he's a daddies boy after being terrified of my husband for almost a month and bubba is well we aren't exactly sure but he's a big mamas boy haha
arthistmom
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM
I'm sure mental health professionals would disagree with you. And I'm curious by what you mean by blamed for "everything"?

Quoting alc4evermom:

I hate how people always blame mental illness for everything. Its called being irresponsible. 

Quoting arthistmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)