Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Are you estranged from any family members?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 209 Replies
3 moms liked this

I haven't really spoken to my sister for almost ten  years.

We had a disagreement (long story) and she stopped speaking to me.  When I tried to reach out to her (via email), she accused me of a lot of crazy stuff.  I realized then that she quite likely has narcissistic personality disorder.

So I quit trying to reach out to her.  And I never heard from her again.  (She lives overseas, so it's not like we live in the same town or anything.)

I feel sorry for her--she has no kids, never married--because she's totally missed out having a relationship with my kids.  She only has 6 nieces and nephews and four of them are mine.

Anyway, I just wonder:  Am I alone?  Is anyone else estranged from family members?  What happened in your situation?

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM
5 moms liked this
Yep. My father and I haven't talked since November 2007.

He's always been a horribly abusive thing to my mom and me. Physically, emotionally, sexually...it's a wonder I'm as "normal" as I am. What really is normal? Anyway, in November 2007, when I was at my moms with my girls, I wanted for some reason my girls to meet him. He hemmed and hawed about meeting them, then finally sent me an email basically calling me horrible names, saying I don't deserve to live and he wishes I was dead, and that the next time he wants to hear about me it should be the day that he gets to spit on my grave.

I have news for him. When he dies, I'm going to DANCE on his grave if he has one. If he has an urn, I want to get close enough to it that I can pee in it. *I'm usually not this vindictive, but he absolutely deserves it.*

I'm definitely not dying before he does.
arthistmom
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Not in my immediate family but my husband's oldest brother is estranged from his family. His wife, who doesn't like my in-laws, made him choose between them and he chose her.
lovegirl14
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I am estranged from my nephew. He is gay, but that is not the reason why we don't speak. When my mom got sick, he told his Facebook friends that my sister and I stressed my mom out, and that's why she was sick (not true). He then put a status on his page that called me and my sister "a couple fat a@@ lazy b****** who don't want anything out of life". I unfriended and blocked him after that. He doesn't live in the same town or even try to call his grandmother to see if she's ok, but he does this. He has no room to judge anybody.

avonleafan
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
we haven't seen my sister in law in almost 4 years. she went through a very rebellious period which culminated in her getting pregnant and telling my mother in law that she never wants to see her again. when my husband and I tried to reach out to her she accused us of taking sides and said that that must mean we don't love her. Granted, we both reacted in anger after finding out what she had said to my mother in law and made the situation worse. I did call to apologize which she accepted, but she still wants nothing to do with us. I have never met my nephew; my hubby has seen him when they ran into each other at a restaurant, but that's it. At least we are Facebook friends now.....it is a start in the right direction.
Momofmenagerie
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I guess SIL, simply put she's nuts ...across the country now. I miss my niece and nephew... Thank Goodness for FB !

On my side, I guess my dad's middle brother, but he molested me, so, pretty self explanatory
offrdngal
by Terri on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My mother and 2 sisters started some bullshit with, after my dad died. I haven't spoken to them since..that was August '09.

jdelvecchio
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I have nothing to do with almost my whole family. Dad was very abusive and his family refuse to see it. Blamed my mom for him abusing her and them divorcing and say I'm a bad person for not taking care of him and for saying he abused us too. They are different people though, think that kids should get jobs at 14 pay rent and buy their own food. Have 8 brother and 4 sisters and because of dad we all went our seperate ways. Mom's family has issues with my kids being a different race and being hyperactive, they have ADHD, OCD, and one has autism and learning disorders. I don't feel I should deal with judging people when a family should love each other. I do talk to 2 brothers and Mom on holidays, I try to have a big dinner for all major holidays and birthdays. Haven't talked to the rest in over 7 years, and life is so much less stressful.

sabrtooth1
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I love my family; they love me.  They love each other.   I cannot understand people who think their petty upsets are more important than the love of your family.

SarahLizyB
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM
6 moms liked this

I haven't spoke with my mother in almost 2 years. She also suffers for narcissistic personality. She's very toxic and I refuse to have someone like that in my life. 

coronado25
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I can relate.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Yep. My father and I haven't talked since November 2007.

He's always been a horribly abusive thing to my mom and me. Physically, emotionally, sexually...it's a wonder I'm as "normal" as I am. What really is normal? Anyway, in November 2007, when I was at my moms with my girls, I wanted for some reason my girls to meet him. He hemmed and hawed about meeting them, then finally sent me an email basically calling me horrible names, saying I don't deserve to live and he wishes I was dead, and that the next time he wants to hear about me it should be the day that he gets to spit on my grave.

I have news for him. When he dies, I'm going to DANCE on his grave if he has one. If he has an urn, I want to get close enough to it that I can pee in it. *I'm usually not this vindictive, but he absolutely deserves it.*

I'm definitely not dying before he does.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)