Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Hitting a Child in a Public Place

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM
  • 16 Replies

Have any of you seen anybody hitting a child at the super market or any other public place and, if so, would you go up to the adult and say anything to the adult ?  What would you say?

Would you report the person doing the hitting to the child to the police?

i have always wanted to go to the adult beating on the child and say something in the child's defense - as - Hitting a child only tells them that violence is the only way to teach a child right from wrong or the only way to reprimand them -

also, that the bigger guy always wins -

because, the child will only carry this treatment over to his/her family -

i broke the chain of hitting that went on in my family -

when we married, i simply told my husband that there would be no capital punishment in our home - there are better ways to reprimand a child -

now, i'm not talking about a whap on the bum of a tot who is about to run out on the street or plug his toy into an electric socket - i'm talking about a beating - one that leaves welts and draws blood -

a smack on the bum is okay with me - but, we didn't even do that -

i see no wrong in anybody else doing that, though -

wow, i probably have this whole thing so confused that ya'll can't even figure out the question now -

suziSunshine -

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Morticiah
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I would report it in a heartbeat. And I have. Two occasions: 

I was in line checking out to get my groceries and two women, one older and one younger had a small child with them. I'd say he was around five. He kept messing with the basket or something and the older woman hit him in the face four times. NOT OKAY. I went to get a manager and I reported the situation to CPS. It was sick.

Another time this woman at Whole Foods started spanking her child quite violently and yelling at her. I called the police.

Sometimes children don't have a voice. If there is an opportunity where I can be that voice, I will gladly rise to the occasion.

If I witness a child being hurt I will respond. It's not going to happen, not on my watch. 

Morticiah
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Did you stick around for the police to come? What did CPS do?

Quoting Morticiah:I would report it in a heartbeat. And I have. Two occasions: 

I was in line checking out to get my groceries and two women, one older and one younger had a small child with them. I'd say he was around five. He kept messing with the basket or something and the older woman hit him in the face four times. NOT OKAY. I went to get a manager and I reported the situation to CPS. It was sick.

Another time this woman at Whole Foods started spanking her child quite violently and yelling at her. I called the police.

Sometimes children don't have a voice. If there is an opportunity where I can be that voice, I will gladly rise to the occasion.

If I witness a child being hurt I will respond. It's not going to happen, not on my watch. 

Morticiah
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

After the police came, so did CPS. I spoke to a nice woman but since i'm not family, I couldn't be kept updated on the situation. That sucked, but I hope the outcome was that the child was removed from her care.

Quoting EireLass:

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM
A good friend of mines DD bit her so hard she needed stitches. So she smacked her DD on the bum. Someone reported it and CAS took her kid she never got her back that was like 9 yrs ago.

A beating I would report a small.smack on the bum I would not.
yanamom
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Depends on the situation. One time I was in a store and a child was throwing a really bad temper tantrum. After about 20-30 minutes of the child screaming, one of the adults finally popped her bottom. (the child was wearing a diaper!) The child stopped screaming. EVERY ONE who was nearby clapped and all the comments I heard were similar to "Thank god they finally spanked the child!".

In a situation where the adult is obviously disciplining a misbehaving child, no I would not have reported it. If it was someone actually beating the sh!t out of child for no reason, then yes.

bigmama423
by Liz on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Depends on the situation. If they're just spanking their kid, that's their child, their business..not mine.
If they're punching them or something severe, than I'd probably intervene.
angiejones256
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM

like of u say yes in some occasions like this one time i had to call DCF (in fl) when i worked at disney world, i was a hostess and i kept thinking wow this little kid is really crying (i wasnt a mom yet) some reason something kept telling me to keep an eye on the mother. well like 15 mins after i sat them i went to go sit another guest and saw her grab her kids hand very meanly and take him to the bathroom (female) well we herd scream from the kid a guest runs out and is in shock she screams their blood everywhere OMG of course we called the cops we had to shut down the restrant and i ran "back stage" and cried the little boy was ok just had to go to the hospital. i never herd from them of course but im sure she doesnt have him anymore. i mean how can a mother do that?  

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM
wouldnt it be a better outcome that the parent was given some behavioral education so that she could more effectively parent. rather than remove the child? have you signed on to be an emergency foster care provider?? they are in short supply. its not as though children removed from parental care magically go to some candyland of a home. its difficult for social workers to place children i think education for parents is a much wiser use of resources

Quoting Morticiah:

After the police came, so did CPS. I spoke to a nice woman but since i'm not family, I couldn't be kept updated on the situation. That sucked, but I hope the outcome was that the child was removed from her care.

Quoting EireLass:

cherryblosso883
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:35 PM

If they were beating the kid I would call the cops on my cell phone.Then I would ask her if she needed any help with her child and talk to her so I can stall her so the police can get there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)