Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What should Mother of Bride wear?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM
  • 16 Replies

DD's wedding is July 2014. Her colors are hot pink & a turquoise blue. Afternoon wedding, more casual than formal-the bridesmaids will be wearing short dresses but DD hasn't decided on which color yet-pink or blue. 

SO: what do I wear? Not a long dress but what color should I go for? Her MIL plans on wearing a taupey lace dress but I look horrible in taupe & black in July here is hot temperature wise. 

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sabrtooth1
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd's bridesmaids wore hot pink, and I wore PALE yellow.  Here's the bridesmaids, and my backside!

twinners.mama
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Our colors are dark purple and charcoal grey. My moms dress is long, flow chiffon with sparkle on the top and 3/4 sleeves. She loves it and feel comfortable which is the most important thing. My mil is wearing a dress that has a dark purple skirt and Lace top with a purple belt around the waist. It's very pretty! I think it's neat that they are wearing our colors!
bigmama423
by Liz on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM
I'd go for something turquoise, I'm not a pink person. :)
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM
2 moms liked this
The mothers of the bride and groom should not dress in the colors of the wedding party! But your dress should complement their colors for photos. Your dress should be at least 3 inches below the knee, and it should have some sort of a sleeve or a cover. A simple dress no flash or bling, it's her day not yours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Quoting bigmama423:

I'd go for something turquoise, I'm not a pink person. :)

That's what I think as well

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting marchantmom06:

The mothers of the bride and groom should not dress in the colors of the wedding party! But your dress should complement their colors for photos. Your dress should be at least 3 inches below the knee, and it should have some sort of a sleeve or a cover. A simple dress no flash or bling, it's her day not yours.

You are right.

Amybelle
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM

soft grey

HippyMomma45
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Dress 1 is what DD found on David's Bridal site but I'm thinking Nebraska in July might make this one pretty sticky & clingy. Dress 2 I & my sisters like & DD is ok with. Dress 3 if I could find in good color I & DD like, & 4 is ok but more casual. Yay? Nay? eww-never? 

[1]   [2][3]  [4]

HippyMomma45
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I saw the MIL's first choice of dress-long, gaudy & compared to the bridesmaids uber formal the second one I think is not AS gaudy & maybe shorter but still flashy & DD's stepmom will be over the top gaudy/flashy/obnoxious.  I don't want flash since I'm not flashy like that [I'm more of a simple maxi skirt & top or maxi dress person] & DD says I can add sparklier accessories which I like anyway. 

Momof2Stepof3
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting HippyMomma45:

Dress 1 is what DD found on David's Bridal site but I'm thinking Nebraska in July might make this one pretty sticky & clingy. Dress 2 I & my sisters like & DD is ok with. Dress 3 if I could find in good color I & DD like, & 4 is ok but more casual. Yay? Nay? eww-never? 

[1]   [2][3]  [4]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)