Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

A little word on mice

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
One of my little sisters and I grew up with pet mice. We had whole notebooks of their genealogies, traits, even personalities of favorite ones over the years. Later on in life I would work in a lab and again be surrounded by this marvelous little creature.
In my opinion mice are the most precious, precocious and humble little animal in existence. I love their little hands and toes, the nearly translucent ears..everything is so perfectly tiny!!

Anyhow, in a lab setting I learned a few things about mice I never learned from my pet mice....

Lab mice rarely or never bite, even when they are having blood drawn.
Lab mice caged with other mice of the same sex have active sex lives with each other; females mount other females, males mount other males.

Many a lab mouse fathers help deliver babies. They lick the mother mouse as she delivers and rolls the babies in his paws licking them clean and tucks them under him keeping them warm and out of the way while mom pushes out more and more babies. With pet mice, we took the sires out of the cage because we were told they may eat the babies. I have seen pet mouse mothers devour whole litters, but in the lab setting, dealing with hundreds of breeding pairs, cannibal moms were a rarity and I never once saw a cannibal father.
Lab mice remember each other. A mother and daughter housed together after being separated at weaning groom and play immediately, as opposed to two stranger mice housed together, who often keep their distance for some hours.

Anyhow, in my job, I bred as many mice as I eventually euthanized in preparing their tissue for further research.

Mice are miracles. They are the first step in the long haul to human clinical trials. Anytime you undergo any medical procedure, or are prescribed any helpful pharmaceutical remember all the little mice that were first for every trial and error and say cheese...hurray for the little mouse!

Bah, teary eyed again!!
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coronado25
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM
I once rescued a mouse from a glue trap at the pub I work at and brought it home, more dead than alive. I could not get all the glue off of him, thought he may die anyway and would perhaps like the comfort of another mouse, so I placed him in my pet mice's cage. It was like a miracle. One of my pet mouses went over to the little glue covered guy and began licking him all over in earnest, within an hour he was able to walk and by morning he was lively as ever and when I opened the cage he jumped clear out of it. We were able to herd him out the door. He may have been eaten that very day but at least he would be a meal for another animal and not a glue trap victim..what a way to go.
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Very sweet but I'm not a mouse fan at all
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM
That's pretty cool. Mice are creepy to me. I'm not a fan of seeing them, but I do like to hear stories from people who do like them.
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM

ewww, don't like mice.

bigmama423
by Liz on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:55 PM
I like mice..rats too, I've owned both, we have 2 rats now. Crazy info about them, interesting.
supercarp
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I perpetrated many atrocities on lab mice in the name of undergraduate biology and graduate level microbiology. I successfully performed CPR on one and removed the ovaries of another. One bit me, but I can't say I didn't deserve it, at least from their point of view.

CrossStitchMum
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM

pet mice and rats are cool. Wild ones in my pantry, not so lol. I learnt the other day that pet rats can be litter trained like cats which was interesting

luvbooks
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:22 PM

When we lived in a house on a canyon edge we would get occasional infestations.  I usually just used the old fashioned traps, but once got an idea to use the "more humane" glue trap.  No one mentioned that it would take the mouse hours to die.  Neither my son nor I could stand it so I ended up drowning the poor thing after about an hour.  Needless to say I went back to the snap traps

Quoting coronado25:

I once rescued a mouse from a glue trap at the pub I work at and brought it home, more dead than alive. I could not get all the glue off of him, thought he may die anyway and would perhaps like the comfort of another mouse, so I placed him in my pet mice's cage. It was like a miracle. One of my pet mouses went over to the little glue covered guy and began licking him all over in earnest, within an hour he was able to walk and by morning he was lively as ever and when I opened the cage he jumped clear out of it. We were able to herd him out the door. He may have been eaten that very day but at least he would be a meal for another animal and not a glue trap victim..what a way to go.

coronado25
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM
The glue traps are really gross...at first I missed the word glue when I read your response and thought you said just humane mousetraps and I was really confused! Vodka will dissolve the glue if you ever need to set one stuck in it free. Though, they will most likely die anyhow. Eesh!

Quoting luvbooks:

When we lived in a house on a canyon edge we would get occasional infestations.  I usually just used the old fashioned traps, but once got an idea to use the "more humane" glue trap.  No one mentioned that it would take the mouse hours to die.  Neither my son nor I could stand it so I ended up drowning the poor thing after about an hour.  Needless to say I went back to the snap traps

Quoting coronado25:

coronado25
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM
I am sure those particular class days were less than bliss. Thank you for sharing. I found performing profusions to be particularly upsetting, but keeping the end study goal front and foremost in my mind helped me develop an optimistic attitude about it. The lab mice I worked with had human genes for specific human disease traits and preparing their tissue for the latter phases of the research process filled me with even more gratitude and respect for mice and less sadness, from my new perspective.

Quoting supercarp:

I perpetrated many atrocities on lab mice in the name of undergraduate biology and graduate level microbiology. I successfully performed CPR on one and removed the ovaries of another. One bit me, but I can't say I didn't deserve it, at least from their point of view.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)