Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Government Assistance?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am doing a paper for school comparing Americans in the 1900s to now and how they felt about receiving any charity or financial assistance. You can post anon to these questions. How many of you are receiving any type of charity or government assistance for food stamps, wic, paying bills, etc? How do you feel about being on government assistance? Do you feel entitled to the money or other help you receive from the government or charity? Do you think Americans are too dependent on the government? Anything else you want to add feel free. 

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sjump25
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM

We aren't on any gov asst.  We don't qualify and we will do everything in our power to never have to.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I get Fs and medicaid. I don't feel badly about it. We need and qualify. Hopefully the time will come soon that we won't need it but I'm not going to feel shame over it.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Hi, there's no anon feature in this group but I'll answer your questions.

I am not receiving public assistance, but have in the past (20+ years ago).  I think if you're on it for the right reasons with the intention of not staying on it, it can be a really good thing.

No, I did not (and do not) feel entitled to the assistance I received.

Quoting kellymarie7108:

I am doing a paper for school comparing Americans in the 1900s to now and how they felt about receiving any charity or financial assistance. You can post anon to these questions. How many of you are receiving any type of charity or government assistance for food stamps, wic, paying bills, etc? How do you feel about being on government assistance? Do you feel entitled to the money or other help you receive from the government or charity? Do you think Americans are too dependent on the government? Anything else you want to add feel free. 

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM

When I was in College I could not post for info in Cafemom. People do not tell the truth and to be honest it is not anyone's business anyway.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting paganbaby:

I get Fs and medicaid. I don't feel badly about it. We need and qualify. Hopefully the time will come soon that we won't need it but I'm not going to feel shame over it.

If one needs the help they should not feel ashamed.

mom22boys333
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this

My ds's get medicaid and we receive $190 in fs.....If we didn't need it or could get by without it right now, I wouldn't have it.....Some people abuse the system and sell their fs and stuff but I think if you need help, you should be able to get help.  I also volunteer at a food bank and you'd be surprised how many people need food. 

JCPenny
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
We have medicaide for emergencies. That's all I use it for. We do qualify for FS but I don't get it because I can't justify it. I think people are too dependent on the government. IF someone can't get work or can't help themselves, that's another matter. But there are people who can afford it and think they are entitled to these benefits regardless. I believe a lot of the problems we have today are from the fact that people aren't willing to work for what they want. They expect things to be given to them regardless of their ability to attain it. I once heard someone say that everyone in jail is there because they tried to get something without paying for it. If you think about it, it's true- this includes the murder cases and the rape cases.
flika
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I need fs. I work full time and my income barely pays my rent. Water was disconnected last month and the water company have me phone numbers to places to call before it happened but no one helped. I either didn't qualify or my city wasn't included. A friend helped me out to get water back. Same with electric bill. I user my neighbors Wi-Fi and I don't have cable. I have a prepaid phone that I pay when my mom or dad sent me money for it.
This month I was due for renewal for fs and I was denied. I have reapplied bc I can't afford food even though I work.
My son receives WIC and I have to go to food banks or churches for help too. I'm looking for a second job :(but in also going to school for my BA. I was homeless 2 years ago and it frightens me. I pay my rent first and the rest will have to wait. We don't go out or the movies. Only parks that are close by. It's difficult enough that if I didn't have the good help we would be eating water bc I can boil some at home.

I think after paying 17 years in taxes, it's OK to give me a hand until I can stand on my own. Can't wait to be there again!
bigmama423
by Liz on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Yes I receive assistance.

I don't like being on it, but I'm grateful for it. Unfortunately for now I need it.

Yes I do feel entitled to it, we work and pay our taxes.

Some people might be too dependant on it, some may not. Everyone's situation is different.

bluebunnybabe
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM
I don't get any assistance nor do any of my grown children and their families. Some of us have for short time periods years ago and at different times but in our family & with our upbringing, if you need help, you get it & bust your ass to get off of it ASAP. I think that people in our country have developed a sense of entitlement that is bankrupting us. I think that not only should there be limits but also that PA of any type should be on a local level so that tax dollars collected here stay here & help people that truly need help.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)