Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do you send Thank You notes?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Amy
  • 26 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you send Thank You notes?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 27

View Results

Do you send them or do you feel that they are a dead/dying trend?  Have you taught your kids to send them?

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Yes.  I send them when appropriate and I have taught my children to do so, as well.     Children's birthday parties are the exception.   My kids thanked the gift giver after opening their gift.   If a gift is received in the mail, we send a thank you nte or make a personal phone call.    Graduation, Shower, Wedding gifts, we sent Thank you notes.

I believe if Thanking someone for a gift is a dying trend, gifts should die along with it.

1L2CMommy
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM
I do write abd send them for most gifts, weddings, baby gifts, unexpected gifts, or if someone does something nice for me or my family, especially if it's out of their way. I do teach my kids to write and send them. We don't send them to family for birthday gifts or Christmas gifts. Only because it's not a tradition in our family to do so, and we usually open gifts in front of each other and say thsnk yous then. If the kids have a birthday party with friends and family then everyone that came gets a thank you note.
It doesn't bother me not to receive one from others, because I know it is a dying tradition. Although I do enjoy getting them in the mail. Anything to break up the monotony of bills and useless flyers. Plus it feels like the receiver really appreciated the gift.
arthistmom
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Yes, and I'm teaching our boys to get in the habit of writing them as well, especially to their grandparents. I want them to learn that gifts are given out of affection and shouldn't be taken for granted. Their grandparents don't have to give them anything but they choose to do so, not out of obligation, but out of love for them. 

CatFishMom
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM

(sigh) I do for big occasions, but I cant find my stamps so I havent sent the ones out for my baby shower. I feel really guilty. :-/ Luckily theyre all my husband's family who I talk to off and on anyway, and remembered to thank them a couple of times and apologize for not sending them out.

bigmama423
by Liz on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I do not, but I have no one to send them to, even if I wanted to write them! ;)

pokemongirl0191
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM

nope. i think i did once in high school but that was for  school work i think. 

TheCuriousOne
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:03 PM

It varies. If the gift comes with a card or by mail, I usually write a thank-you card and send it back. If it was sent through someone, I'll use the usual line of communication with the giver, be it phone, text or e-mail.

esox
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM
I hate writing them out and I do believe its a dying tradition. I always say thank you right away and again before leaving the party or occasion. But I still send them out to the people who still talk about them and to my mother's friends since I don't typically see them.

I'd much rather send a random and unexpected post card or note to let my family and friends know that I am always thinking about them, not just when they give me stuff.
Melissa_anne
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I don't, my parents we never strict on that, i have taught DD to do it though. 

Marz31
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I have DD do them for her birthday, but all other gifts, we're present when they're opened, and if you can say thank you in person, that's better than a note.....I just hate doing it :\

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)