Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

planning next year's vacation

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 17 Replies
thinking up next year's August vacation. i was looking at all inclusive family resorts ( not in the caribbean). as an option. have you ever visited a resort where kids have their own program and parents can find activities too? like Trapp Family Lodge. rocking horse ranch. Tylers place. etc. my only concern is that it will be overly social and we wont be able to escape fellow guests for a quiet afternoon or evening. Have you ever stayed at a family resort and how was your experience ?
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I haven't but it sure sounds like fun!

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM
i think so and it would be easier than having to arrange the activities separately( and i wouldn't have to cook or find restaurants for three meals a day).

Quoting amonkeymom:

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Why ks the Caribbean out? We have done several all inclusive trips, but most of them to islands in the Caribbean or Cabo or Bermuda.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM
summer isn't the time we want to go there. we have decided to put the caribbean on the winter / spring vacation list for Feb or April break.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Why ks the Caribbean out? We have done several all inclusive trips, but most of them to islands in the Caribbean or Cabo or Bermuda.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, total relaxation.  Sounds like my kind of vacation!

Quoting calsmom62:

i think so and it would be easier than having to arrange the activities separately( and i wouldn't have to cook or find restaurants for three meals a day).

Quoting amonkeymom:

sjump25
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't, but it sounds amazing!

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Have you traveled a lot? Because your logic doesn't really make sense to me. You want to have a resort with a kid program, I assume to keep the kids occupied and for them to have fun on the vacation? Then wouldn't it make sense to go when other kids will be there? Also take into consideration that August is the hottest month of summer, so somewhere without water isn't going to be much fun for anyone. If you are looking at cheap then just go to great Wolfe lodge. We travel extensively and frequently and we also have kids of all ages so we sometimes look for resorts that are family oriented, but often times we would rather watch our own children.

Quoting calsmom62:

summer isn't the time we want to go there. we have decided to put the caribbean on the winter / spring vacation list for Feb or April break.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM
we have traveled. alot. i just have never tried one of these all inclusives. typically we rent a cabin or house for our Aug vacation but then we have to rent canoes/ kayaks, usually for a day here and there, take the kids to minigolf or waterparks, etc, and then cook or go out to eat. Great Wolf Lodge is hotel and indoor waterpark only. not very interesting for more than a couple of days and not with older kids. i was just curious what others impressions have been with all inclusives.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Have you traveled a lot? Because your logic doesn't really make sense to me. You want to have a resort with a kid program, I assume to keep the kids occupied and for them to have fun on the vacation? Then wouldn't it make sense to go when other kids will be there? Also take into consideration that August is the hottest month of summer, so somewhere without water isn't going to be much fun for anyone. If you are looking at cheap then just go to great Wolfe lodge. We travel extensively and frequently and we also have kids of all ages so we sometimes look for resorts that are family oriented, but often times we would rather watch our own children.

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting marchantmom06:

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Renting a lake cabin is not traveling. And if your children are older then they won't need a babysitter program which is all the all inclusives programs are. They offer activities based on each age such as 2-5 year olds will go on a nature walk and savanger hunt based on colors. 6-11 year olds may go fishing 12-16 have a dance or social. Ect ect. But it seems that you want to rent a cabin near a lake go for it. You aren't getting the actual experince of an all inclusive resort in the United States in the the north east at a lake I promise you that. All the place you have mentioned are basically glorified camp sites. Save up and take the kids on a real vacation that they will always remember and that will he enjoyable for everyone.

Quoting calsmom62:

we have traveled. alot. i just have never tried one of these all inclusives. typically we rent a cabin or house for our Aug vacation but then we have to rent canoes/ kayaks, usually for a day here and there, take the kids to minigolf or waterparks, etc, and then cook or go out to eat. Great Wolf Lodge is hotel and indoor waterpark only. not very interesting for more than a couple of days and not with older kids. i was just curious what others impressions have been with all inclusives.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM
thank you for your advice. our family does travel internationally and throughout the US and Canada. these Northeast inclusive resorts do offer organized activities by age and the kids from what I've read can opt in and out different days. having other kids to play with is also a plus. the core of my curiousity is perhaps better phrased as " how cozy are these resorts and will we be lined up on the beach or patios like the deck chairs on a cruise ship or is there as much or as little privacy as you desire around the property ?"

Quoting marchantmom06:

Renting a lake cabin is not traveling. And if your children are older then they won't need a babysitter program which is all the all inclusives programs are. They offer activities based on each age such as 2-5 year olds will go on a nature walk and savanger hunt based on colors. 6-11 year olds may go fishing 12-16 have a dance or social. Ect ect. But it seems that you want to rent a cabin near a lake go for it. You aren't getting the actual experince of an all inclusive resort in the United States in the the north east at a lake I promise you that. All the place you have mentioned are basically glorified camp sites. Save up and take the kids on a real vacation that they will always remember and that will he enjoyable for everyone.

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN