Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Oil pulling

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 28 Replies
So today I started oil pulling with coconut oil. It supposedly has numerous health benefits, and already I feel pretty good. I thought I would do it in addition to my four 30 day challenges (push-ups, crunches, squats and planks) and the only thing I can see wrong with it so far is that my husband looked at me like I was a crazy person this morning for shoveling a spoonful of solidified oil into my mouth. Anyone else ever tried oil pulling?
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dingysfamily
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Never heard of 'oil pulling' ... what is that?

Dibsy
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Basically it's just swishing oil around your mouth to pull toxins out of the body. It's an Ayurvedic practice I think, but most people use sesame oil, which doesn't taste vey good. Plus coconut oil is antibacterial and has a lot of good stuff in it that puts stuff back into the body.the skin inside the mouth is very absorbent but full of bacteria and things which causes malaise so taking it out (the oil attracts the bad stuff and it gets trapped) helps your body recover. You don't gargle or swallow it, just spit it out and rinse out with water and supposedly it's great with a whole list of things.

Quoting dingysfamily:

Never heard of 'oil pulling' ... what is that?

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I only tried it once. Icky. haha. I'm sure it works...but I couldn't get past the ick.

Dibsy
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM
It's definitely...different! Haha. Tomorrow I think I'm going to warm it up prior to putting it in my mouth. Feeling a solid glob was the worst part until it all melted. Gross. After that it wasn't too bad, it didn't really have a taste, or what taste it had was pretty mild I should say.

Quoting EireLass:

I only tried it once. Icky. haha. I'm sure it works...but I couldn't get past the ick.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Never heard of it, sounds kind of nasty though.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM

wow never heard of this.

sjump25
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I have never heard of that!

britmichele
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Yes I do that sometimes. How long did ya swish for?
bigmama423
by Liz on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:00 AM

I've never heard of it, but coconut oil is pretty cool! :)

coronado25
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:06 AM
What "toxins" does the oil "pull out"? Sounds like nonsense.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)