Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Cloth Washing-Tell Me What To Do! :P

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 6 Replies

This is my washer (Samsung HE) and this is what cottonbabies recommended I do for my Bumgenius Freetimes.

To wash the diapers with an HE washer we do recommend to wash cold with 1/2 Tablespoon of detergent in the cold wash, then follow with a hot wash with 1/2 Tablespoon in with the hot with 1 extra rinse.

But my new question is.....what setting do I use for the washes?  Do I use normal, delicate, or quick wash? Then when the hot wash is over I just turn the dial to rinse and spin?  Also, I do have a pre-wash setting and according to the manual that runs cold, so should I just add 1/2 tablespoon to the pre-wash and regular wash compartments or do I need to run an entire cold wash on it's own? 

I am SO ridiculously and annoyingly paranoid about ruining my diapers before even getting a chance to use them, lol.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Can you run the prewash in cold, then switch it to hot water for the regular wash?  On the normal wash cycle it should do the rinse and spin on it's own.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I do a rinse cycle with no soap, a prewash with a bit of soap (1/4 scoop of powder detergent) a heavy duty wash with 1/2 scoop and sometimes an extra rinse if necessary.
So with your machine I would do rinse, prewash, heavy duty wash and then an extra rinse if it was needed.
I'm not sure about the hot water though, I've never used hot water in any washing machines except the laundromat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmama423
by Liz on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM
No clue on settings..I've got an old school washer.
I wash & rinse cold no detergent, then hot wash, cold rinse with Ecos detergent and one more cold wash no rinse. I line dry outside, rarely use dryer.
bigmama423
by Liz on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM
If you can, avoid the dryer...sun is much better for CD's. Dryer's can delaminate them, and make them not last as long.
Gabrielle1982
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM

If I remember correctly, the manual made it sound like the pre-wash runs cold regardles of the temperature setting.

Quoting amonkeymom:

Can you run the prewash in cold, then switch it to hot water for the regular wash?  On the normal wash cycle it should do the rinse and spin on it's own.

CafeMom Tickers
Marz31
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM

It's been a couple of years, but as I recall, I did a prerinse + regular "heavy soil" hot/cold wash + extra rinse, was about 90 minutes long cycle if I recall. then we had a rack to hang them inside (no outdoor space) and then popped em in the dryer to fluff for 20 minutes on ultra-low when they were dry on the drying rack. 

I would NOT use a heavy duty or sanitary setting, a regular hot cycle is hot enough to kill anything that needs to be killed, the hotter cycles will shorten the life of the diapers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)