Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

So..........he's coming to town.........

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

The President that is...he is coming to Chattanooga, TN and landing at the airport.  My husband works at a place there that fixes airplanes.  He is not thrilled because when Airforce One lands the whole place shuts down. They can't go outside, they can't go in or out, their cell phones are shut down and much more. It effects their ability to do their jobs, yet they aren't allowed to take pictures unless from a window somewhere. Get this he is coming to the city to talk about middle class employment but his arrival shuts down the airport and these workers to do their jobs.

Now that being said I am not all anti-Obama. I'd say how ironic it is if any president came to talk about jobs, employment etc and his arrival effected people's ability to do their jobs during the time he was on the ground.  They can't roll planes in and out of the hangar to work on them etc.  They can't use radios to contact others in the hangar and such. Just ironic is all.

My husband is going to try and get a picture or two from an upstairs plate glass window of air force one if he can, simply because the man loves planes.  

(Side note: by saying I live in Chattanooga, TN it does not give away WHERE I live. There are many different areas in Chattanooga that are listed as Chattanooga but aren't really in Chattanooga.)

ETA:  Disclaimer-This post was made just for conversation. It is not a political statement or to say this is a huge deal in the grand scheme of life. Just thought it was interesting and hubby says all the security mandates etc that come down when air force 1 lands is craziness.  We understand the need, it is a hassle for those that work their though.

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LLisaA
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I don't think it's a big deal, they have to shut down the area for security.  No one is losing their jobs over it.

bottomline
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Did they ask people to take the day off if they could? It amazes me that they want to pay these folks to be standing around doing nothing besides just adding to the security hassle. lol

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM

LOL, I am not saying it is a big deal. Just making conversation. No spouses could eat with their husbands today etc. It isn't a big deal at all.  LOL

Quoting LLisaA:

I don't think it's a big deal, they have to shut down the area for security.  No one is losing their jobs over it.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM

LOL.

Quoting bottomline:

Did they ask people to take the day off if they could? It amazes me that they want to pay these folks to be standing around doing nothing besides just adding to the security hassle. lol

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Oh and I understand security.  I just think it is nuts that so many have to basically stop everything their doing.  Most of the people would just rather do their work and move through their day.  LOL

Quoting LLisaA:

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

The kids take on the live coverage "Daddy's work is on tv, where Daddy works is on LIVE TV" LOL LOL LOL. I guess in their minds it is the President who? That's where OUR DADDY works and that takes center stage to them. I LOVE my kids

LLisaA
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Maybe I misread, but it seemed like you were saying it was ironic considering he was in town for a talk about middle class workers, which would imply that you thought his visit was, in some way, hurting middle class workers.  

Quoting Thelmama:

LOL, I am not saying it is a big deal. Just making conversation. No spouses could eat with their husbands today etc. It isn't a big deal at all.  LOL

Quoting LLisaA:

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I did say that, but didn't mean it like that. I think it is ironic they have to stop working so that the president can talk abour working. Ironic in a funny, ha ha ha, kind of irony.

Quoting LLisaA:

Maybe I misread, but it seemed like you were saying it was ironic considering he was in town for a talk about middle class workers, which would imply that you thought his visit was, in some way, hurting middle class workers.  

Quoting Thelmama:

Quoting LLisaA:

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Hubby's view of Air Force one from his place of employment......pretty cool.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

As it landed/taxied and the motorcade...from dh's vantage point at work. Correction, that is the plane at the terminal. On the cell phone pic dh sent I didn't see the motorcade lined up at the terminal.  This makes more sense because when planes land they do so right by dh's work. That explains the view of the plane up close, the way the runway turns etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)