Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Soooooooooooooo COOL

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this

My father in law emmigrated here to the US from 'Germany when he was 11. He speaks some German but mostly English. He doesn't have a German accent because he has been here longer than he was in Germany.  However, he has a cousin that is friends with us and them on facebook. Gunther speaks German and replies in German. He can read English. I use google translate to answer back and read what he posts. I find it so cool that I can correspond with a relative, however distant, in German and be able to translate.  Maybe in the long run, I will learn some of another language as well.

I used to speak spanish as a child because we lived in South America where my Daddy was stationed. Ican use google translate and practice spanish.  It would be cool if I could relearn spanish. I was fluent as a young child. I remember some now, but not enough. I think I am going to set out to learn spanish by typing in and practicing phrases. 

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM

that is pretty neat.  My uncle was stationed in Germany and can speak it fluently.  He still has friends from there that are on his FB. 

We lived in Mexico for about 6 years off an on.  My kids were fluent in Spanish and still can speak some but not enough.  I understand it real well but feel funny speaking it.  I am a little self consious and am afraid they will make fun of me.  That has happened before. 

I worked with a lady whos parents were missionaries in Brazil, she moved there when she was 3 and lived on until adulthood.  She even married and had 3 kids that were born there.  She divorced and moved back here with her kids (now adults).

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I was told when I do speak spanish I have the correct accent. I think it is because we were little, like kindergarten age when we were over there.  I guess I just need to practice.

Quoting hayliedlr:

that is pretty neat.  My uncle was stationed in Germany and can speak it fluently.  He still has friends from there that are on his FB. 

We lived in Mexico for about 6 years off an on.  My kids were fluent in Spanish and still can speak some but not enough.  I understand it real well but feel funny speaking it.  I am a little self consious and am afraid they will make fun of me.  That has happened before. 

I worked with a lady whos parents were missionaries in Brazil, she moved there when she was 3 and lived on until adulthood.  She even married and had 3 kids that were born there.  She divorced and moved back here with her kids (now adults).

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I have the correct pronunciation but they have soo many different phrases and speak differently and backwards lol (or is it us that speak backwards?)

there are tons of apps out there that hepl with other languages.  only thing I noticed was their pronunciation is "off" lol

Quoting Thelmama:

I was told when I do speak spanish I have the correct accent. I think it is because we were little, like kindergarten age when we were over there.  I guess I just need to practice.

Quoting hayliedlr:

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

That's cool!  My daughter communicates with the girl who was our exchange student last year.  DD writes to her in French and Jeanne replies in English, it's great because they both get to keep practicing their other languages.

bottomline
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Being multi-lingual is so cool! I don't speak any other language but always thought it would be helpful to learn another language, just never did it.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

That's pretty cool.   I don't know any other languages but a little bit of French.  I took 2 years of French in high school, but my mind is pretty shot now.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:40 AM

You are a smart woman. I see your replies. You would do better than you think.  

Quoting Kmakksmom:

That's pretty cool.   I don't know any other languages but a little bit of French.  I took 2 years of French in high school, but my mind is pretty shot now.

alexgia
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM

good to know.  i have a facebook friend who is a relative of my late husband who is italy.  maybe now i can figure out how to understand his messages.

nussknacker
by Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I taught my daughter German as her first language, but as soon as she entered the school system it quickly faded :-(  Now she is in high school and while a foreign language is required, there is only ONE foreign language offered, and it isnt German. After she graduates I will put her in a full immersion course...Im gonna send her to Germany to stay with her relatives!

calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Growing up I understood alot more spanish than now. My parents are spaniards. My mom speaks spanish but us kids never learned. It would be nice to learn again! We sort of lost our culture when we came to the states.My mom also has jewish heritage so I have been learning hebrew as well but Im definately not fluent in either one. I wish I was..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN