Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about children or grandchildren being raised in a different religion?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

My best friend's boyfriend just had a new grandbaby born, an adorable little boy.  The maternal grandparents are Jewish and the mom wants to raise her baby in her religion.  The paternal grandpa (my friend's b/f) is livid!  He is stressing, angry, and moping because he doesn't want his grandchild to be Jewish.  Am I alone in thinking he is being a bit ridiculous and that he should love his grandchild and be part of his life no matter what?  

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sabrtooth1
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM
3 moms liked this

As long as it's a REAL religion, and the child is raised faithfully, I have no problem with it.  I remember my Mom, who was a VERY observant Roman Catholic  (born in 1920) saying, "As long as someone is a GOOD, decent, moral Buddhist, Muslim, Angelican, Jew, etc..., I cannot believe God will not allow them into heaven."  End of discussion.

LML1
by Kristy on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM

It's the parents choice...

alc4evermom
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I think he is being ridiculous.  

motherslove82
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Has he said he doesn't love the child or want to he a part of his life? Some people take their religion seriously. If you really believed that your way was the only way to avoid eternal torture, you might b e upset if your grandchild was being raised to believe something else.
anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I think that if the parent's are practicing their religion (and obviously not a cult or Satanic), then everyone should respect everyone else.  If someone is, say, Catholic in name only (and hasn't been to a mass in 10 years) then they have no real say in what religion the child should be.  Grandparents get no real say anyway because they are not the one's raising the child anyway, but they may want to instill some traditions.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Ok so my parenst (well my mom) and her family are protestant) very religious. I am Agnostic and they hate it, ok so I have 3 kids, my oldest has a different dad then my younger kids. Still with me. ? lol

Both my kids dads are atheists. My Kids are Catholic "by choice" My lo is only 18 months old so she is not old enough to have a religion yet.

My kids dads families are Catholic, my kids were given the choice to decide on their own religion, they are 5 and 11 yrs old now.

My family hates it, they say all the time but you are not Catholic and their dads are not either, I look at it like this, if my kids want to be any religion I will support them in it 100%. Its not my life its theirs so there for its their choice.

I feel the same in this situation as well, it is super silly to dictate and get butt hurt over this. 

I wish my mom and my Grandma would just except that my kids want to be Catholic instead.

I dont believe religion is anyones choice buy your own, I dont think parents should dictate their own childrens religion either. Or Grandparents. lol No one will ever agree with me though. lol

emaylerocks76
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I would not try to impress anything upon my children in what religion they raise their children in only that they teach their child to keep an open mind. It is wholly up to the parents and the grandparents should keep out of it.

Jannie2258
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM

This is true; don't push them away because of religion...I truly believe though that as long as kids are raised in a CHRISTIAN home, it shouldn't matter what church they're raised in...Christianity is suppose to be a relationship with JESUS, not some radical religious thing...and as long as the WHOLE Bible is used as the foundation of the home with Jesus being it's cornerstone...

From another standpoint, the Jews are Gods chosen people, and they use the old testament as their foundation.  also, Jesus was Jewish, but taught that a relationship with God(and coming to God through Jesus) is a must...so who knows?! Jesus is referred to throughout the old testament, and his 1st coming...talked about/predicted.

photo Job29-3.png

coupon_ash_back
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I don't push religion on kids. They will decide when older.

In regards to the post,it's their choice
arthistmom
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

The parents should have the decision in their child's religious upbringing, whatever it may be. Unless the grandparents are raising the child, they have no business in this decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)