Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

At what age do you think you'll be able to retire?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Amy
  • 29 Replies

I don't think I'm going to be able to retire for a long, long time (I'm in my 40s now) unless I win the lottery or marry someone rich.  lol

Guess I'd better go buy some Powerball tickets, huh?   

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dingysfamily
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I'm already basically retired.  I'm collecting my social security; I started collecting it at 62.  I've been a SAHM/W nearly all of my adult life, both marriages I've been able to stay home with my kids and I feel blessed that I've been able to do that; but because of that I never paid a lot into SS.  When I turned 62 dh & I checked into my SS and we decided, after seeing the figures, that it just wasn't worth waiting until I was 65 or 67 to start collecting.  Whose to say I would even live that long ... you just never know ... and we could make use of the money then.  However, since dh has continued to work he just now started to start collecting his SS, at age 66.  He has retired from one job, 5 1/2 years ago (after 39 years to the day), but then immediately went to work for another company doing exactly the same type of work.  He did not start collecting retirement from that job though, he invested it - rolled it over into an investment account - until last summer; we have been using that money to do some home improvements.  The SS he is now collecting is also being used for that also.  He is going to retire, for good, come March or April 2014; he's just waiting until I turn 65 (Feb. 2014) and am eligible for Medicare. 

bottomline
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Retirement? What the heck is that? lmbo 

LML1
by Kristy on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Me too... I better plan the dollar scratch off tickets : )

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM
I retired at 46. I sold a few of my businesses and I run a non profit full time now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
esox
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM

What is retirement? Social Security? What are you old fuddy duddies talking about? 

lazyd
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I will retire when im 90! and im 39 now.  I wont EVER be able to retire!

EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM

We are retired...sort of. We don't need the money we make now to live off (dog training & photography). I'm 55, he's 52.

nussknacker
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont see ever being able to retire. Scraping by as it is, and I need to replant the old orchards and the well is almost dry.

grandmotherof6
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM

70 I hpoe

Holly-Kathleen
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Not sure- probably not for a long time...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)