Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

At what age do you think you'll be able to retire?

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't think I'm going to be able to retire for a long, long time (I'm in my 40s now) unless I win the lottery or marry someone rich.  lol

Guess I'd better go buy some Powerball tickets, huh?   

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
hargonagain
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM

55, so 15 years from now.  I have worked for the State of California for the past 17 (18 in December) years.  We cannot retire until we reach retirement age, it doesn't matter about the years. I will have 33 years in by the time I am able to retire.

Amberleigh81
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I don't ever WANT to retire.

I feel like retired people atrophy and die.

I want to work, doing what I love (paid or unpaid), until I die. That will make me happy.

I am saving so that I don't HAVE to work a job I don't want to by the time I am in my late 50s-60. I am only in my 30s now.

I think the fantasy of retirement looks good for about a month. I would be bored after that! :)
Awma
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I have a funny question: how can YOU collect SS when you've never put into it? Just wondering. I'd been working since I was 16 yrs old am now 55 yrs old. I lost my job in 2008 and decided to stay home with our Grandson whom we are raising, since the job market was so bad. I had 2 interviews in 3 yrs.
Quoting dingysfamily:

I'm already basically retired.  I'm collecting my social security; I started collecting it at 62.  I've been a SAHM/W nearly all of my adult life, both marriages I've been able to stay home with my kids and I feel blessed that I've been able to do that; but because of that I never paid a lot into SS.  When I turned 62 dh & I checked into my SS and we decided, after seeing the figures, that it just wasn't worth waiting until I was 65 or 67 to start collecting.  Whose to say I would even live that long ... you just never know ... and we could make use of the money then.  However, since dh has continued to work he just now started to start collecting his SS, at age 66.  He has retired from one job, 5 1/2 years ago (after 39 years to the day), but then immediately went to work for another company doing exactly the same type of work.  He did not start collecting retirement from that job though, he invested it - rolled it over into an investment account - until last summer; we have been using that money to do some home improvements.  The SS he is now collecting is also being used for that also.  He is going to retire, for good, come March or April 2014; he's just waiting until I turn 65 (Feb. 2014) and am eligible for Medicare. 

Platinum_blonde
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I'm glad my DH is a finance guy and knows how to invest money.  But without him, looking at what my parents are going through, I would otherwise never fully retire! 

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I work part time doing house cleaning, I hope to replace that with house rental income, I'm a little over half way there. My husband will retire at 62 I think, he is 57 now. There is light at the end of the tunnel :)

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM
im not sure I ever will. hubby has no hobbies and he follows me around whenever he is home a lot.. i like doing something. ill probably volunteer if I do stop having a paid job. .
Raeann11
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Not sure, will figure that out as we get older. Yes we are working on saving. But personally I have no clue.
squeekers
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM

well my grandparents stayed working in to their 70's. dad is retired mid-70's. i'm only 43, so i think I have decades to go.

dingysfamily
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I didn't say I never paid into it, I said I never paid a lot into it, read what I wrote again.  I worked for the federal, state & county gov'ts before I married, for a while during   my 1st marriags and while I was separated & divorced between marriages & then during the first year of my 2nd marriage.  But still, out of the majority of my married life I was a SAHM/W.  Unfortunately the amount I paid into SS, it just didn't make enough difference to wait until I was of full retirement age to start collecting it.  It's amazing how you can pay into it and it just doesn't seem to add up to much!

Quoting Awma:

I have a funny question: how can YOU collect SS when you've never put into it? Just wondering. I'd been working since I was 16 yrs old am now 55 yrs old. I lost my job in 2008 and decided to stay home with our Grandson whom we are raising, since the job market was so bad. I had 2 interviews in 3 yrs.
Quoting dingysfamily:

I'm already basically retired.  I'm collecting my social security; I started collecting it at 62.  I've been a SAHM/W nearly all of my adult life, both marriages I've been able to stay home with my kids and I feel blessed that I've been able to do that; but because of that I never paid a lot into SS.  When I turned 62 dh & I checked into my SS and we decided, after seeing the figures, that it just wasn't worth waiting until I was 65 or 67 to start collecting.  Whose to say I would even live that long ... you just never know ... and we could make use of the money then.  However, since dh has continued to work he just now started to start collecting his SS, at age 66.  He has retired from one job, 5 1/2 years ago (after 39 years to the day), but then immediately went to work for another company doing exactly the same type of work.  He did not start collecting retirement from that job though, he invested it - rolled it over into an investment account - until last summer; we have been using that money to do some home improvements.  The SS he is now collecting is also being used for that also.  He is going to retire, for good, come March or April 2014; he's just waiting until I turn 65 (Feb. 2014) and am eligible for Medicare. 

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM
probably sooner than later.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN