Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Monatery Bribe...

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
  • 7 Replies

Poll

Question: 25¢ Monetary bribe to sleep in bed all night?

Options:

to much

to little

bad idea

other - explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 3

View Results

My 3 year old daughter will not sleep in her own bed at night.  I don't like having my kids sleep on bed with me for reasons 1) I can't sleep with them in my bed, not that I can sleep anyway..., 2) if something we're to happen I don't want to have to run all over looking for them. 

I told her that if she sleeps all night in her bed without coming into my bed I would give her a QUARTER.  With my oldest daughter I was able to just use stickers on the calender but I don't think it would work for my youngest.  

What do you think? To much, to little, or a bad idea

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bottomline
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I think 3 is early to use monetary gifts to entice a behavior.  A 3 yr old doesn't really have a good concept of money yet. What are her favorite colors, animals, or things? You could say if she sleeps in her bed for 3 days she gets _________ (one of her favorite things).

esox
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM
As far as monatery bribes go for 3 year olds 25¢ doesn't sound to bad.
How about just putting her back in her own bed? A night or two of fits and she will learn to stay put.

P.S. your second reason is silly. If the kids were in bed with you, you wouldn't have to look for them at all. Lol
Marz31
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM

we used " The Sleeping Fairy" to get our DD to sleep in her bed earlier this year (she's almost 5) and what the sleeping fairy did was left random change on the floor in her room right before she woke if she stayed in her room every night, for a month. then at the end of that month, she got a larger gift ($10 or so, but you could scale that back if you wanted) and that was a parting gift as the Sleeping Fairy moved on to help another child sleep in their own room. She still comes back randomly to check in, but at this point, it's not an issue. We'd tried without any sort of reward and it never worked. my daughter's "Currency" is actual currency. she doesn't know how much things are or anything, but she knows all the coins and how much they're worth.

jmp1279
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Yes if they are in my bed it would be silly but they don't always come to my bed.  Sometimes they are on the couch, or on the floor.   

I do put her back in her bed, she fights it, I even use a gate to keep her in but she climbs over it.  She shares a room with her sister

Quoting esox:

As far as monatery bribes go for 3 year olds 25¢ doesn't sound to bad.
How about just putting her back in her own bed? A night or two of fits and she will learn to stay put.

P.S. your second reason is silly. If the kids were in bed with you, you wouldn't have to look for them at all. Lol

dingysfamily
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM

We put a gate across the bedroom door of our dd's room, she would come to the door and cry, we'd go put her back in her bed ... did that for the first couple of nights.  Then the next couple of nights we just went to the door and told her to get back in bed and hugged & kissed her & watched her get back in bed.  Then after a few nights of that, we just let her cry and after crying a bit she would stop ... after a bit of quiet we'd go back & find her asleep on the floor by the gate!  We'd let her just lay there until we went to bed to make sure she was sound asleep & then we'd pick her up & put her back in her bed.  Sometimes she'd wake up a bit, sometimes not.  We continued to keep the gate up for about a week, until she quit getting up and trying to not sleep in her bed.  This all took about a period of maybe 2-3 weeks total.  After that she was fine with going to bed in her own bed; she would still come get in our bed once-in-awhile though.  We had a water bed & she could slip in that bed, on her fathers side always & cuddle next to him (she was a daddy's girls) and never ever wake either of us.  She never came to my side unless she wanted to wake me for some reason & then she would go, "Mommy, Mommy ... I need .....". 

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM
I would use something else that she likes
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM
I wouldn't use money to bribe her. If you do that, she will learn that you will bribe her with money for everything, or when she gets older she'll say "I'll do it only if I get $x.xx..."

Even 3 year olds learn that kind of thing. I'd just say something like "If you go to sleep tonight in your bed, you can have dessert, a little more time to watch TV", or whatever.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)