Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

HELP! First date advice needed! He's outta my normal relm!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 7 Replies
Quick back story.. Im a 30 year old single mom of 3.. red headed Aries personality lol... I'm back on the dating scene, and I'm trying to branch out outside of "my type"... Friday night, I have a date with a 100% Italian guy... Truth be told, I've never dated one lol. My last 2 bf's had a lot of Italian in them, but not 100%. He's 25 too lol. I'm trying to think of what I'm supposed to wear and do my hair etc since he comes from a very old school Italian family.. which I had to do research on since I'm a Celtic lass lol Any tips? Ideas? Advice?! I've done some Googling.. and asked a few of my Italian guy friends, which oddly enough make up my 2 best guy friends lol.. But, I need a woman's POV on clothes and hair and whatever else anyone might have to add..... Thank you for anything and everything that may be suggested!!!
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Just be yourself and dress for the evening.. is it dinner. a movie. clubbing?
Lorik1969
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:59 PM
3 moms liked this
I would say to go as yourself. Dress and act as you normally do. Trying to dress the way you think he would like you to would be misrepresenting yourself. That's not how you want to start a relationship.
JEM1983
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Well.. we are meeting at a Tim Horton's for coffee.. then back to his place where he's making me dinner lol. I wanted to dress a little bit more 'quietly' than I normally do.. i usually have a loud eclectic look haha. I plan on being myself... but you know.. first date version, a bit more reserved and quieter lol

JEM1983
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM
I'm gonna be me.. just the more reserved side lol.. I tend to dress loudly..or simply.. it depends on my mood...
EvilQueenMommy
by Cathy on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

How well do you know him? It's odd that the first date will be at his house

goldilocksbecky
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Do you expect him to show up attempting to be more of an eclectic, red-headed, Celtic type?  No, not at all.  You are expecting an old-school Italian guy, because that's who he is and who you accepted a date with.  You're not expecting him to try to be like you.  And likewise, you don't need to try to be like him. 

If he wanted a traditional Italian girl, I'm sure his Mama has 20 or more prospects that she'd be happy to send his way.  And he likely has dozens of childhood friends who would easily fit the bill.  If he was looking for "someone like himself", he'd have no trouble finding it.  He knows where those girls are.

But clearly that's not what he's looking for at the moment.  Because he asked out the eclectic, red-headed, Celtic girl.  And that's who he's expecting to show up on this date.  You shouldn't have to "research" anything or "try to figure out what you're "supposed to" wear or do".  Just be yourself.  Wear what you want to wear.  Say what you want to say.  Act how you'd normally act.

Either he will like you (just as you are) or he won't.  And that's something you'll need to find out sooner rather than later.  And you can't find that out if you aren't being your genuine, authentic self.

Now, back to the first question.  Think how rediculous and phony he would look if he showed up trying to "be like you".  You know lots of guys who are "like you" (family members, childhood friends, etc.).  If he tried to play that part, he'd look absolutely rediculous.  Trust me when I say, if you try to "be like him", you will come of just as phony and rediculous.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Ahh, good luck and have fun :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN